UP "Giant of the West" - EMD DDA40X Centennial, UP 6936 - Page 3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to NTCGRR
Default RE: UP "Giant of the West" - EMD DDA40X Centennial, UP 6936

There ya go. I'm out installing concrete roadbed under my ride on trains now.
Oh to be young again.!!!

Marty Cozad
North Table Creek GRR
Nebraska City, NE
Is it "REAL" or just 1:29 th
NTCGRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Posted By SD90WLMT on 10 Apr 2012 11:08 AM

The completed trucks are a full 4 axle, fully flanged wheel set, all 4 axles driven by two motors....for each motor block!!

Here's a thought... Why not take some HO scale or similar motors and figure out a way to install them as traction motors. Then instead of 4 motors total you could have 8 total. Realistically that would be the correct! As a side note, I wonder how long it would take the model train industry to get to that point? G gauge is definitely easier to work with in regards to this, compared to HO scale. Can you imagine the pulling power of something that had 8 traction motors?

Craig
bnsfconductor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to cabforward

This project has been in the works for years...
It went from simply glueing to sd45's together like George Riley Curry did a number of years ago.
Are goal is to have a finished model by Marty's get together in September.
The engine will have 2 Phenix sound cards with the speakers mounted under the exaust fans and run off the 10 amp Revolution board with self contained batteries
Matt
cabforward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #24 (permalink)

I think one problem using such small motors - that would fit plus related gear train - slot car / side winder style stuff - would probably be the reduction in over all power to a truck....

Lots of work here, wan'a build one Craig? even a test motor block?

Just a 3 axle unit to play with..

I have to admit, getting to the full powered 4 axle unit did not come over night. It was a long - not deliberate - approach. Our expectations did not start with we wanted a 4 axle motor block... It started out with just a 3 axle block unit and a tag along 4th axle to make it look like it was correct.... Having all 4 axles powered came as an after thought, and more by evolution and accidents than anything else, just from working with it so much.

Dirk
DMS Ry.
SD90WLMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Once I got more familiar with the details of the loco, I started seeing so many items that needed work! Turns out the side frame step/ladder needed a spot to sit next to the fuel tank, which resulted in a back cut angle of the fuel tank corners. This allowed the steps to not exceed the loco width.

Installed on the frame -

Here a strip of Box car roof decking is used to create the decking on both sides of the frame. It works so well, that light shines off the upper tank surfaces even. So it should add a great deal of impact to the completed loco!!

for now!!,

Dirk
DMS Ry.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #26 (permalink)

Can't wait to see the finished locomotive!

www.rldhobbies.com
Robby D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #27 (permalink)

Dirk,

You do some really clean crisp work......nice job!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

Thanks Robby and Brian!!

Umm, years of fabrication in steel, custom body work and painting, show thru on occasion in My model work!! Just hoping to stay on track thru the entire project.

A trip to My Dad's in So. Cal. this weekend, helped with this model also. I got to "stand" on a DDA40X loco at the Pomona Fairplex, UP 6915. First visit to see one of the these large monsters, and also UP 4014, Big BOY...!!! My Wife kept looking at the loco - it's SO BIG, what is it she says?? "Honey", it is the same loco we ran in the World's Longest Model Train... 3 of 'em - As soon as I pointed that out she "Knew" the loco!!!!!

I have saved most every pic off the internet for the DDA40X loco build, but there is a lack of really good close-up detail shots of critical parts..The side radiator grill work, the side step ladders by the tank, and the corner steps at both ends. I took many close-ups of just these pasts for now to help with the model!!!

These will help Me move forward with work on it. Also took My own set of all 4 corners showing the access covers - part of the cooling sections at each end of the hood! These are nearly complete currently, but this will also help.

Pics tomorrow - Dirk
DMS Ry.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #29 (permalink)

I will try to reconstruct what we lost last week so we can get on with life again!!! And building trains.....

I did get pix of Me on the monster loco, DDA40X, and next to an even larger BIG BOY loco while on our recent trip to LA to visit My Pop!!!

What's this - does this fit here? It's big, and Oh so black!!! OH A BIG BOY, got it!!!

A close up of the front and all the detail work to do someday! Lots to work from in a pic like this also.

The radiator cooling grills are the most often missed item for a DDA40X in close-up pix. SO these were My number one thing to get good pics to work from for this build. Once seen, they do not look so intimidating to recreate in miniature. Just needed to know what they were really like, not like a SD45 radiator either, so don't be fooled by the similar shapes here overall!!

These are the correct side frames that will be copied for this loco, they are from UP 6915, but clearly the same as UP 6936 frames are!

The side fresh air cooling section right behind the cab on the Engineers side of the loco. Many details here, access covers and related items for them are easy to see here, for each side of the loco, followed by the Fireman's side next...

I should also point out that some parts are much different on UP 6915, and this is why UP 6936 is always the loco used for any final reference work before any building is undertaken. So there is always a hunt for the right and correct detail, yet many pix are needed to get the right feel also, some of which may not be from UP 6936. All this takes a fair amount of time to sort thru. And sometimes gets confusing also!! What FUN!!!

So with that lesson, here is a section I built copied from a photo always at hand and right next to the work in progress.

This wall section and the other 3 matching walls have been the most challenging for Me to build so far. These will be glued to the mid-sections for the engine bays using GP-38 hoods cut up. We'll get into that later tho! I built a small jig for these walls so they would all be the same, building 2 lefts and 2 right sides, and even adjusting the small stops for the grill work on each side. Again, I will get into this more next time I check in here. Until then,.. safe modeling!!

Dirk
DMS Ry.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #30 (permalink)

Lost post addition per Dirk.

A good source for MU hoses (not the train line) is O scale glad hands. I believe this is the part number from P&D hobbies PSC04050 Air Hose w/angle **** & glad hand (4) Found at http://pdhobbyshop.com/show_products...cision%20Scale Or here's another source I just found. Similar product http://www.irishtracklayer.com/Irish.../dp/B005SGC356

The glad hands are small enough to be in scale for the smaller MU hoses. And they are functioning and able to lock into each other. Remember the 3 hoses face different directions.

The main res. hose should face inward like the train line, and the outer two should face towards the outside. I've thought about trying to model all of the underside piping before, but it would be quite the project.
bnsfconductor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in