New 1/20th scale projects - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New 1/20th scale projects

Because I don't already have enough projects going on, you know...
I started on the tender for the radio control Bachmann 0-4-0 side tank engine, it will be a 15 foot long 2 axle tender. I also started on the Quincy and Torch Lake rock cars that I've been wanting to build for years now. The tender is freelance, but the frame loosely based on the Billmeyer & Small flat car that they built for the D&RG in the 1870s.

The rock car is based partly on the article and plans from the May 1987 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman, and with my own measurements and pictures of the existing cars at the Quincy Mine hoist site, about 150 miles from where I live. There's still several cars there, but they're mostly in very poor condition. I don't think there's been any effort to preserve any of them, it's a shame really.

I haven't glued the 2 frame members into the tender frame yet, the pedestals go on these beams, and their spacing depends on the length of the axles of the wheel sets. I have the parts, I just need to attach the pedestals to the frame pieces so that I can get the spacing correct.

I was going to build 2 of the rock car frames to start with, but I discovered that I didn't have enough wood for the second frame. That will have to wait until the next trip to the hobby shop. I would like to build 5 of these cars, they're actually fairly simple construction, and they're an all wood car except for the hardware. I don't know if I want to tackle the "Z" braced rock cars or not. Hartford Products used to have a kit for those, back in the days before he sold the business.
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: New 1/20th scale projects

I was looking for a picture on the internet of these cars, it might be easier to scan one of my photos and upload that.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDY to Earth

The rock car is based partly on the article and plans from the May 1987 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman, and with my own measurements and pictures of the existing cars at the Quincy Mine hoist site, about 150 miles from where I live. There's still several cars there, but they're mostly in very poor condition. I don't think there's been any effort to preserve any of them, it's a shame really.

Amber, why don't you put together a proposal for the QMH Association to let you restore one of the real cars. It would be a LOT of work, but I would bet dollars to donuts that you would get some volunteers for the project when they found out you were serious. Since I am in Northern VA, it is a bit of a commute for me to volunteer.
Dr Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think the condition of the wood on the existing cars is mostly so bad that about the only thing usable on them would be the trucks and the hardware. Still, it is a good idea! I'd like to see some preservation efforts toward the remains of the one or two cars that are still mostly intact. I'm not sure what would be involved with that.
Somebody recently rebuilt one of the 3 or 4 side tip cars that the Quincy had at the end of operations. They were sitting on the loading track of the shaft house. They used treated wood and all the original hardware to rebuild the car. It's on display in the loading area of the shaft house. It looks like a long version of the Fairbanks Morse side dump cars that Bachmann makes.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

The rock car is based partly on the article and plans from the May 1987 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman, and with my own measurements and pictures of the existing cars at the Quincy Mine hoist site
You mean like these? Photos by Ted Ellis: http://algomacentral.railfan.net/old_qtl.htm.

The reason I am interested is that the EBT had a similar design - bought from one of the ore mining railroads in Michigan!

Finally, I assume you are aware that Hartford used to make a craftsman kit of these cars?

Hartford still makes the kit of metal parts, without the wood. Full wood-cutting instructions are included, I'm told. (I have a couple of the kits and I will be putting them together next winter.) http://shop.hartfordproducts.com/pr...egoryId=64 Kit SK09.

And finally, Kevin tells me the old Delton 1/24th scale ore hoppers are actually almost perfect as 1/20th EBT hoppers.

And here's a pic of my Aristo/Delton hopper - just painted black and numbered:

P.S. I noted you on the other thread were interested in the outside planked ore cars. Next to it is my EBT-rebuilt Hancock & Calumet ore car, bought after the outside braced ore cars! See "The one that almost got scrapped" http://www.mylargescale.com/Communit...c/Default.aspx I have the plans if you'd like a scan.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wonderful pictures! Those are the Z braced ore cars that they had, the ones I'm making are the straight braced rock cars. Here's a picture I found on line.

They had a fair amount of these that they bought used from other local railroads such as the Calumet and Hecla when they standard gauged their railroad. There's actually more of these still in existence than there is of the Z braced cars.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

the ones I'm making are the straight braced rock cars
Amber,

Those are the ones that EBT rebuilt into steel-lined hoppers. My plans show them in four stages - as bought (low side, like your photo) all the way up to the final iteration.

The Bachmann 'wooden hopper car' #98514 is very similar but 1:22.5:
Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was working on the tender model a bit today, and I decided to use a different set of pedestals for it. I have them, but I was saving them for another project. These are sprung pedestals from Hartford Products. I think they'll look better than the smaller logging disconnect pedestals that I was going to use. I have an old set of JB Product wheelsets for them. They're 24-26 scale inch wheels.
I have some older Sierra Valley 20 inch wheel sets that I wanted to narrow the gauge on to O gauge for 2 foot gauge. I can't do that because the axles have a shoulder that the insulator sits up against to set the gauge. I discovered that the old JB wheelsets have axles that are not shouldered, and the insulators for the wheels are close enough to the same size outer diameter to be swappable with the Sierra valley wheels. if I swap the insulators between the wheelsets, I can change the axles also. That way I can slide the 20 inch wheels in on the axles to O gauge. I have 2 pairs of the Bachmann short wheelbase trucks that use the smaller diameter wheels, I got them without wheels from flea bay. You can't put the bigger wheels on these trucks, they won't fit. The Sierra Valley 20 inch wheels fit nicely on these trucks, and if I can regauge the wheelsets, I can use them for 2 foot gauge trucks. I'm still working on swapping the axles.
Solving 2 problems at one time. :-)
Old 05-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Can't wait to see the finished project
Bob Pero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I got all the wheel sets swapped and gauged as best as I can. The 20 scale inch wheels work well in the Bachmann short wheel base trucks. One of the things that I like about those trucks is that they have the extended arch bars. I could hang a set of brake beams on them by drilling a hole where the cast on bolt is, and then putting the brake beam hangers on them. I wouldn't mind narrowing these trucks but the axles are shouldered, and if I shortened the axles, they wouldn't fit in the axle holes on the sideframes. I don't think I could drill the holes out big enough without messing up the sideframes. They'll work fine the way they are, they'll just look weird from the ends of the car with the wheels so far in on the axles.
Hopefully, this weekend I'll get the pedestals mounted on the tender frame. Then I can start on the deck. I think I'm going to put a seperate water tank and coal bin on the tender, like it was built in the railroad shop. The water tank will be where the battery will be hidden.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in