1/6th scale 2 foot gauge tram car projects - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1/6th scale 2 foot gauge tram car projects

I don't know if I actually had a thread going for my 1/6th scale car projects, so I started this one.
I have a couple of mine car projects that I've been working on, as the inspiration strikes. The biggest problem that I run into is having to make everything that is used to build the cars, except for the wheels which are 1/13 scale wheels of the largest diameter that I can get. Figuring out how to build the parts takes a lot longer than the actual process of building them.
I would imagine that you've seen this flat car that I built a while back. The flatcar is for hauling mine timbers, railroad ties, and other things for the mine tram.

This is a car that I've been working on and trying to figure out the construction of for a while. This is supposed to be a drop bottom ore car, if I ever get it figured out. The bearing journals are made from brass fittings epoxied into pieces of square tubing. The axles are 5/16ths diameter rod. I was having a hard time figuring out how to attach them to the wood frame, I finally decided to bend up some steel flat stock to make the bracing for the journal boxes. Now I need to figure out what size screws to use to fasten them together with, and then drill the holes for the fasteners.

Hopefully more progress will be made soon on these cars.
I still need to find a way to couple the cars together so that they can be pulled by whatever I come up with for that, probably a battery powered mine tram engine of some design. I have lots of pictures of the electric engines used in the copper mines of the Keweenaw mining district to use for inspiration.
I would like to use some kind of link and pin system, but I haven't figured out how to make them yet, and I don't think that the 1/13 scale castings are big enough, but I could be wrong about that. I should probably buy 1 set of 1/13 scale link and pin couplers to see if they're big enough to get away with using.
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to NTCGRR
Default RE: 1/6th scale 2 foot gauge tram car projects

I see your problem, yes ,,, very clear.. Your drinking Coke.....
Pepsi!!!!! girl!!!

Marty Cozad
North Table Creek GRR
Nebraska City, NE
Is it "REAL" or just 1:29 th
NTCGRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDY to Earth

For your L&P couplers:

a] a piece of brass rectangular tube for the shank, curve the face with a file, drill a hole through for the pin
b] make the mating surface [buffing plate] from a piece of brass with a horizontal slot in it for the link
c] solder the buffing plate to the curved end of the shank
d] attach to the end beam of your car

I have about 20 log bunks made this way. It is just a wood frame glued over an old Bachmann Big hauler arch bar freight truck. The coupler is made as described above and just bolted on to the bottom of the end beam.

Inexpensive and very easy to make
Dr Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim! I'll have to try that and see how it turns out.
Marty, it all rots your teeth, but Coke is a better rust remover. :-)
Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
TDY to Earth

Amber

The ones I described are not very "cosmetically appealing" if you are trying to make something that looks like the old cast iron pockets, but they are functional and reliable.

I suppose they could me made more bulky in appearance by using JB Weld, plastic steel, or even epoxy as a filler and then shaping it to look more like a heavy casting.

I found this in a search... but I think it is probably too big AND too much money [IMHO] ==> http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1-2-SCALE-...-/321264743197

Good luck
Dr Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Since your cars are such small and light duty units... it is plausable they could use smaller link n pin ..not absolutely to 1/6 scale..

Dirk
SD90WLMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Journeyman Lunatic

Location: Deep in an under- ground bunker.............. somewhere in the People's Republic of Maryland

...Marty, it all rots your teeth, but Coke is a better rust remover. :-) Wax on, wax off...
Old 12-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I broke down and ordered a set of 7/8ths scale link and pin couplers to see how they'll look on the car They might work, the cars are pretty light duty.
I picked up a length of 1/8th inch rod to use for making the bolts and rods that would normally hold the car together. I was hoping to thread it to 4-40, but it's a bit too big for that. I can thread it to 5-40 without too much trouble, but the 5-40 nuts seem a bit on the large size. Maybe if I thread it to 5-40, I'll be able to re-thread that thread to 4-40. I haven't tried that yet, but I plan to, just to see what happens. I might have some brass rod that can be threaded to 4-40, but I'm going to have to dig through the pile of brass stuff to find out.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

I decided to make another frame for the car in this project. I just wasn't satisfied with the length of the frame in the pictures. The steel journal brace pieces are longer than the side frames in the picture and I didn't want the steel to overlap onto the endbeams. I want to drill a set of holes on the ends of the journal braces to run vertical tie rods through to represent the ones that would have been used to hold the frames together. It would be interesting to use mortice and tenon joints in the frames like the full size wood frame cars had, but I don't have the patience or the proper tools to make the joints in frames of this size. Holding the frames together with tie rods would be interesting, but not very practical at this size.
The new frames are 10 inches long and 6-1/2 inches wide, the other frame was 8-3/4 inches long. I'm not even sure why I made the old one that long, that would be 4 feet, four and a half scale inches long. Odd...
The new ones are 5 scale feet long, makes more sense to me. Now, to drill the mounting holes for the journal boxes and the brace bars in the frame...
Old 12-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Interesting project!

http://www.raydunakin.com
Ray Dunakin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in