G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Size comparison of parts for 1/20th scale and 1/13th scale

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Amber 
#1 ·
I recently bought a set of 2 axle car journals from an ebay seller to see if they were large enough to be used for 1/13th scale (7/8ths scale) cars. They were listed as "large journals" and were bigger than the quarter used for size comparison in the picture. I have a set of 7/8ths scale wheels that I bought a while back that are too small for my 2 inch scale projects, so I decided to use them to build an ore car in 7/8ths scale. I also have a set of 7/8ths scale link and pin couplers that I had bought from Ozark Miniatures to see if they would work for 2 inch scale, and they were much too small for that application.
The wheel journals that I got from ebay seem to be about right for 7/8ths scale, they would be way too big for 1/20.3 scale. I took a picture of the journals and link and pin couplers, as well as 1/20th scale car journals and link and pin couplers from Hartford Products for a size comparison. The big journals come from Wiseman Model Services, through ebay. They were reasonably priced.

I thought it would be an interesting size comparison.

#2 ·
The Wiseman large journals are not listed as being 7/8ths scale, but I would say that they would work quite well in that scale.
I plan on building a wood ore car in 1/12th scale with the parts, I don't have a 7/8ths scale ruler, but I do have a 1/12th scale ruler. That makes it easier.

#4 ·
I've looked at several websites with 1 inch scale parts, but they're always more expensive than 7/8ths scale parts, and most of the 1 inch scale parts are designed for standard gauge equipment. Generally speaking, the parts are bigger than narrow gauge parts. The car that I plan on building with these parts will run on 45 mm gauge track, roughly 2 foot gauge.
The wheels and journal boxes for 1 inch scale trains on 4-3/4s or 5 inch gauge are rather expensive, beyond my current means.
I might only build this one 2 foot gauge ore car, just to use the parts that I have. If it works out well, I might be persuaded to buy more 7/8ths scale wheel sets and parts for another car or 2. :) At least I have a drawing for this car, unlike my larger cars that I'm not getting anywhere on. It's based on the ore cars of the Iron Mountain Mining Company of western Montana. It's a 2 axle drop bottom wood frame car.

#6 ·
I drilled out the axle holes in the big journals this evening, to a size "F" drill, very slightly larger than 1/4 inch. The nylon bushings wouldn't quite fit in the 1/4 inch hole that I had drilled it out to. I drilled the holes because they were oversize for the axles on the wheelsets that I have, and the original holes had an upward angle to them instead of being straight. Odd hole arrangement. Anyway, I put 2 bushings in the holes, one bushing fits inside the other and the smaller one is the right size for the axles on the wheelsets. I had to get the journals set up so that I could determine the width of the frame on the car. Then I cut the wood frame parts to suit the spacing for the journals and the axles.
It looks like these journals will work quite well for my purpose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.