South Australian Railways Narrow Gauge Wagon 2 - Page 3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2019, 10:35 AM   #21 (permalink)

Scott, I'm always in awe of the amazing detail that you add to your creations. Truly inspiring. LiG
Nick Jr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks mate.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #23 (permalink)

Some updates to the ongoing build.

This is a earlier pic of the body buffers.

ON PH1 39 by taylorplains, on Flickr

I had to reposition the air hose line as I mistakenly placed it opposite to where it should be. The joy of interpreting a plan that is looking down through the floor instead of looking up from below.

ON PH1 40 by taylorplains, on Flickr

The brake chain assembly. The hooked end will be attached to the ratchet bar, wound over and passed through
the chain guide to the brake pull bar and then fixed to the body with the U clip.

ON PH1 41 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Scratchbuilt brass fittings ready to be painted.

ON PH1 42 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Adding the grab handles for the sliding door.

ON PH1 43 by taylorplains, on Flickr

More to follow.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

A little while ago I got my wheels and bogies 3d printed. Using the plans I made them to scale as much as possible and made adjustments for ease of printing. I was happy with the wheels, but the bogies didn't print out as I planned. then there was the axles, the centre was too narrow and the ends too thick as I had failed to correct a mistake and so being tight with funds had to look for a alternative.

I've got galvanised fencing wire which is perfect for axle ends diameter wise, it's hard and won't corrode - it''s also hi tensile so straightening it with a drill and vice took slight effort. Looking about I discovered at a hardware store some 3.6 mm aluminium rod for the axles as they did not have metal tubing to fit. Not being a machinist and I don't possess a lathe so I used my drill press to bore a hole down the centre of 3.6 mm aluminium rod cut to size to be the main body of the axle. Thinned the ends to accept the wheels to 3 mm diameter and create a shoulder to keep the wheels in gauge. I then filed the holes to accept the wire without forcing it in or being too sloppy to move about.

ON PH1 44 by taylorplains, on Flickr

I tested as I went to make sure I didn't overdo the tolerances. Test fitting in the sideframes and comparing the results to a MDC bogies shows the scale differences but also how big they looked on a small open wagon.

ON PH1 45 by taylorplains, on Flickr

I still have to make the adjustments to the axles to be in gauge and fit the wheels comfortably.

More to follow
Old 12-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #25 (permalink)

Scott, now that's what I call DETAIL. beautiful work. LiG
Nick Jr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 12:28 AM   #26 (permalink)

Scott what scale and gauge are you working in? I've also modelled a couple of SAR 3'6" wagons (old fashioned low-tech modelling though) in 1:32 scale for 32 mm gauge. Not many of us working in that combination - I'm wondering if you may be another?!
Peter Watson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #27 (permalink)

Peter, I work in 1:24 or half inch scale and use 45mm trackage for the SAR narrow gauge. I use a combination of old school and new school technology to make my models. I do apologise in replying as my other work has had its workload go up quite a notch leaving little time for modelling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in