A little while ago I got my wheels and bogies 3d printed. Using the plans I made them to scale as much as possible and made adjustments for ease of printing. I was happy with the wheels, but the bogies didn't print out as I planned. then there was the axles, the centre was too narrow and the ends too thick as I had failed to correct a mistake and so being tight with funds had to look for a alternative.
I've got galvanised fencing wire which is perfect for axle ends diameter wise, it's hard and won't corrode - it''s also hi tensile so straightening it with a drill and vice took slight effort. Looking about I discovered at a hardware store some 3.6 mm aluminium rod for the axles as they did not have metal tubing to fit. Not being a machinist and I don't possess a lathe so I used my drill press to bore a hole down the centre of 3.6 mm aluminium rod cut to size to be the main body of the axle. Thinned the ends to accept the wheels to 3 mm diameter and create a shoulder to keep the wheels in gauge. I then filed the holes to accept the wire without forcing it in or being too sloppy to move about.
ON PH1 44
, on Flickr
I tested as I went to make sure I didn't overdo the tolerances. Test fitting in the sideframes and comparing the results to a MDC bogies shows the scale differences but also how big they looked on a small open wagon.
ON PH1 45
, on Flickr
I still have to make the adjustments to the axles to be in gauge and fit the wheels comfortably.
More to follow