Mason Bogie kit bash - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mason Bogie kit bash

I the process of attempting to build a mason bogie from a Lionel 0-6-0 gold rush engine, a LGB spreewald drive and a 3D printer made 3 axle truck and an eztec tender body. Cut a second cab and using the boiler end made the 3 window mason bogie cab also pieced the roof to the proper side, shortened the eztec tender body and lowered it also cut down the coal load to fit and added real coal to it. Added rivets using Mirce aircraft rivet set, very easy to use and lay straight even though they are of the flat style. Added height to them using gel super glue applied with a toothpick and they came out pretty good. Decided on a paint scheme and will match my present passenger cars. Have cut down the spreewald chassis and added horizontal cylinders and walschaerts valving. Just got the cowcatcher added and fitted. Next will be the decking for both the boiler and cab/tender.
choochoowilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Cool! Looks like a fun project.

Later,

K
East Broad Top is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Got the cab, tender, mounting plate, cowcatcher and cylinders done now on to articulation,,

Old 08-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Senior Member

On the actual Mason Bogie, the driver wheels and the leading truck are mounted on their own subframe and pivot on a central bearing. Most of the electric ones I have seen mount the motor vertically and use its mount as the pivot for this structure.

Hope it helps.
SA #269
Ironton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default articulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironton View Post
On the actual Mason Bogie, the driver wheels and the leading truck are mounted on their own subframe and pivot on a central bearing. Most of the electric ones I have seen mount the motor vertically and use its mount as the pivot for this structure.

Hope it helps.
Mine will as also just didn't have one of those chassis but did have a spreewald so that is what I'm using, just have to dream up a pivot for it and it will mount in the center of the upper top where the 6 holes are just above the center driver, Bill
Old 08-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Moving along with the build I got the domes bases built and sent them off to the paint shop, also got the upper section of the fir box fitted and glues to the boiler along with the base for the boiler running boards fitted, the boiler has been fitted and sized and now time to turn my attention to the articulation part of the build

Last edited by choochoowilly; 08-11-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: missing picture
Old 08-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Further progress on the mason bogie, boiler painted using cab light green and missed with silver over spray and the fire box I added rivets and colored both it and the smoke box with a dark gray metallic graphite. Pretty much most of the detailed fitting is done allowing a better look at the articulation suspension. which will be next along with the coloring of the running boards. Domes are done and screwed to the boiler with single 8/32 screw and leaving only the bell to be built and fitted to the top of the boiler. More to come, Bill
Old 08-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Moving along at a snails pace the Mason Bogie is taking shape. Finally got everything fitted, what a pain, being as I'm not a master builder I adjust as I go along. Funny after fitting 1 piece and going to another when rechecking now the first piece is off a little more readjustments and so it went, on and on but finally everything is now fitting. Next is fitting the headlight and making the bell bracket and mounting, always touch up paint and the motor chassis has to be re assembled but the tunnel is getting shorter, more as it progresses
Old 08-28-2019, 04:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Bill, adjust and making changes as you go along is pretty much how I do it. Finished product looks GREAT. LiG
Nick Jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2019, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Since last post I have got the headlight done and mounted + got the side gear in place except for the reversing bar but moving right along, ordered the Gscale graphics rail boss 4 and a charging (door way) board and still looking at mounting the batteries in the boiler, more to come, Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in