McKeen Car Build - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default McKeen Car Build

Jerry's posting of this very unusual car stirred my interest and gave me my next project. Talking to Bob of Robert's Lines he described the different body styles he was offering. I decided on the 'combine' version. It has the signature round windows and some slightly arch style windows. He also has trailing cars.
The body I received is made of ferris metal with welded floor, seats and ceiling braces. There are also brass hand rails , grab irons and head lamp housing. I used Bondo to fill the irregularities and primed it gray. LiG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1109.JPG (461.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1111.JPG (439.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1114.JPG (465.2 KB, 71 views)
Nick Jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Very interesting prototype, should look good when complete.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Scott, thank you. Nice I hope, it doesn't have the detail that you create. LiG

Old 07-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Next the roof: Using a piece of cedar I had on hand cut and sanded it to just slide into the car. Put iron on oak veneer around the perimeter where it sticks out of the car. It's the same thickness as the car body so it meets nicely. Drilled holes in the roof and using a piece of aluminum dowel found in the scrap box made securing pegs. Drilled and taped the bottom of them and drilled the car floor. (pic explains it better)(once painted black won't be so obvious) Then added another layer of 3/4" pine to bring it to the desired height. Made a guide and am now in the process of shaping the roof. LiG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_3cc.jpg (97.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1141.JPG (448.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_3ce.jpg (56.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1145.JPG (456.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1153.JPG (451.3 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Nick Jr; 07-13-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes Nick, Jerry tends to do this to us. What with his 8 foot Stirling single and his McKeen car, how can we keep up?
I also have one of these cars on my to-do list, when I have nothing else to do that is.
Look forward to watching your progress.
Cheers.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Harvey, emailing Jerry he said he also wasn't going to start his any time soon. Since I was doing mine he didn't mind if I posted my progress. I hope to give those intending to do one some ideas. I sent Jerry my first two attempts at the roof build, this one is my third. LiG
Old 07-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think it will work out fine Nick. You could run a router around to do the edges, glue a thick piece of balsa to the center and sand it to match the edges, could work? I'll leave it up to you. I have other projects, but don't seem to work on them much anymore.
Jerry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Jerry, I did one similar to what you described, but didn't add the balas so mine had a tendency to wobble and and not set deep enough into the shell to be secure, pic. I also attached the other attempt where I used the laminate over the shell. Didn't like the look of that. The one I'm doing now looks like how it will be, but I have one more step before I'm sure. LiG
EDIT: while preparing it for the next step, saw a glaring mis match that I don't know how I got this far without seeing. I think I was preoccupied with the contour and shape. Have to go back a couple of steps to make this right. LiG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1121.JPG (462.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1118.JPG (446.4 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Nick Jr; 07-14-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

I was very happy with the compound contour of the nose and shape of the body. Gave it a dusting of primer to make sure all was flat and smooth. I wanted to Harden the surface and was undecided using either Poluyurethane or Polyester Finishing Resin. I mixed the resin and gave it a nice coat. What was in the pot and stirring stick hardened within 2 hours as it is supposed to. What is on the roof is different story. 24 hours later and it hasn't hardened in several areas. In some areas it has wrinkled. In one area it seemed to lift so I pulled it and a strip peeled off. Only thing I can come up with is the resin had a bad reaction to the primer?. So I'm going to start the roof all over again. LiG
Old 07-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Use metal duct tape to seal it.
Jerry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in