Making of Old Joe - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Little more done today, got the cribbing for the wood box finished, painted and installed, but most the time was spent on figuring type, location and mounting of the front coupler. Luckily I found in my collection of Kadee couplers a centerset short gear box # 835 couple which enabled me to mount it to a wood beam and both secured to a small flat protruding plate that is on 2010 engines, there were some angled supports molded in underneath which I had to remove but a sharp chisel made short work of them. The wood beam is actually PVC board that I had ripped sometime ago to make supports for my water tower. The wantabe cow catcher is one left over from a Bachmann Big hauler tender that has excellent forgiveness in the crash department and is great for bending without breakage and gives the build the appearance of a working yard engine. I then secured every thing with 2/56 screws and nuts which can be seen in the picture as silvery dots but will get covered with grimy paint soon. Still trying to find a suitable material to make my canvas roof with, suggestion are welcome. Will post when further achievements are made, Bill

Last edited by choochoowilly; 12-07-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: picture
choochoowilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Bill;

Not sure this would look like canvas, but you might try the fabric from an old pair of panty hose.
Stretch a length of it over the roof, actually securing the fabric under the base of the cab. Paint with a white glue, like Elmer's. Once the glue sets, trim with an eXacto knife and paint. Just a thought. May want to try it on some scrap first.

Have fun, David Meashey
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Calico works well, can be weathered in a number of ways. White glue works well to stiffen into position. I use it to represent tarpaulins, awnings, roofing, etc.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Meashey View Post
Bill;

Not sure this would look like canvas, but you might try the fabric from an old pair of panty hose.
Stretch a length of it over the roof, actually securing the fabric under the base of the cab. Paint with a white glue, like Elmer's. Once the glue sets, trim with an eXacto knife and paint. Just a thought. May want to try it on some scrap first.

Have fun, David Meashey
David, not sure about that I might get distracted procuring the panty hose, LOL, thanks for the idea
Old 12-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Calico works well, can be weathered in a number of ways. White glue works well to stiffen into position. I use it to represent tarpaulins, awnings, roofing, etc.

Scott, Thanks for the idea, Bill
Old 12-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

After several good suggestions from several readers, I found some material that my wife had that had a nice weave and was thin enough to show the groves that I had scribed in the top. Selecting a suitable sized piece I glued it with some titebond glue and allowed to dry. I was going to dye the material with coffee or tea but it had a print on it so I wound up painting it and will probably put some tar patches on it where a ember from the stack landed and caused a burn hole. still more to come, Bill

Last edited by choochoowilly; 12-08-2019 at 04:27 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 12-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Adding details to engine, got air piping along with the air compressor attached to the starboard side water tank + a bell attached to the vertical front of the engine cab and on the port side a air tank, tied the air piping and the air tank together with a pine made from metal wire covered vinyl, also added some hand rails on top of the water tanks for workers that came off and old aristo 0-4-0. Ran across a couple of head lights that I could incorporate into the engine but initially I was not going to put any headlights because it was thought engine only worked during the day, still thinking about that. Also started weathering the engine but a lot left to do, more to come, Bill. Since originally posting I have come to understand that by law the must have a head light so I guess I just have to pick a style.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

Cab looks great. Be interesting to see the style of headlight you add.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Finally decided on a headlight for Old Joe, had a selection of Bachmann, toy train and stanza, and I selected stanza basically because of size and style, but I did cut down the stanza one, removed the side board on the stock one so that the head light stood alone without a back board. Mounted it to the boiler using 2/56 black Allen head screws that are taped into the boiler, painted the one for the front to match the machine yellow that the tank is painted in, just because I waned it to show up more than a drab black or plain one, have a matching vertical one for the rear of the wood tender vertical back but painted that one silver for the same reason as I didn't want it to disappear into the back ground., also modified it in the same manner removing the back board behind the stanza light, think I will paint the reflector bright silver instead of leaving it factory white. more to come, Bill

Last edited by choochoowilly; 12-14-2019 at 10:30 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 12-15-2019, 03:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Bill, looks like an unpainted brass head lamp, LOOKING GOOD. LiG
Nick Jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in