Making of Old Joe - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Making of Old Joe

While waiting on some Mason Bogie parts I have decided on using the left over parts to build a small side tank industrial tank engine. Took the two cab sections and mated them together and glued the two pieces of leftover roofs together. Found the side tanks from a LGB 2017 engine that came off of Rosy, cut off the tab and started filling in some of the holes. Found that the width of the two coupled with a 1" PVC coupling was the same width as the cab. Added the wood bunker from the original Lionel 0-6-0 to the back and shortened a left over frame from a previous butcher job after modifying it to match the motor housing of a newer 2017 block. Still working on a water filler saddle for the side tanks and but did come across a smoke box front of a 2010 which I added to a plastic hole plug and fits nicely into the 3/4" coupling, Added the fire box left over from the sacrificed Spreewald (Mason Bogie drive) and it starting to com together. Today I added rivet detail to the 2 side tanks and gave a light coat of primer. Rivets are actually 1/2 round 2 mm plastic beads glued to the side of the tanks, time consuming but not near as bad as individual holes for each rivet. Still have to find a motor for the motor block as I bought it without but it was new and unused and in great shape and has all the looks of American valving. Think I'll call this engine "old Joe" will post more as the build moves along.
choochoowilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Making of old joe

Got a little done on Old Joe, first set of rivets for the boiler, cut the boiler to the to be length, finished the smoke box door, was able to find a rectangle box for the water reservoir and caped it with the hatch cover from an old Bachmann tender. The reservoir will feed the side tanks via some rubber tubing, actually the outer sheath from an electrical cord, this will allow the engine to take on water from the water tank rather than filling each tank separately via a hose. Started size fitting the front bolster and step cowcatcher, I have a LGB cow catcher I could use but being as this suppose to be a small industrial engine I opted for the former. Was able to stumble across so old plastruct vinyl cover wire and a grooved bracket to mount it with so I made some air piping for under one of the running boards. No the smoke stack isn't going to be square just trying to get an idea on height and that tubing was handy. Found the top to the steam dome just have to cut it to size. Sort of on off building this week trying to get the house ready for guest for thanksgiving of which there will be some little ones, so thought is out of site out of mind, just hope I can remember where I have hidden stuff after wards, more to come, Bill
Old 11-25-2019, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

wow that is cool
Dennis
denray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Very nice, I now know not to throw away any of the irrigation line PVC piping. Like the rivet detail.
FlagstaffLGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2019, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Moving along, decided I would try the rust look using rock salt, didn't quite go like the youtube but good enough. Used an oil base rattle can and think it would have probably worked better using acrylic air brush paint. The problem I had with the oil base was it stuck down the salt too well and wound out having to soak it in water for about 1/2 day and still had to scrape some of it off but it gave the result I was looking for so live and learn, using individual rivets, although a pain to install worked out well , had bought some self stick ones thinking I could bypass the gluing step but that didn't work out either. Found that the beads wouldn't come off the shipping paper and left gooey mess around them and found it very hard to position correctly. Got a little paint on the cab and trying to get it to look like old faded wood, and still have a ways to go. Will up date when I get something else done, Bill
Old 11-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Modulator

You hand placed each rivet?

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2019, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

That is true, was using Mirce rivets, http://www.nsmodelers.rs/mirce-finish-set---rivets, which are very easy to use but are designed for airplanes and aren't very deep so after a little paint they sort of disappear, then when building the Mason Bogie I was placing a drop of super glue on top for depth which gave the desired look but trying to get the same amount of glue on each rivet was iffy at best. On Old Joe I used the Mirce rivets for location but placed half sided 2mm beads on top. A little time consuming and difficult with my shaky hands but was the best I have been able to come up with so far, am open to suggestions. picture is of the glue method, Bill
Old 12-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Top stuff! Love the way it looks as if it's worked hard all of its life.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks, Scott, fun build
Old 12-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

still piddling with Old Joe, been cold here in central Florida east coast and being as my work area is on an open porch I haven gotten a lot done, but things that I have done are time consuming taking planning and thought. Finally figured out how to secure the lead weight in the engine and at the same time secure the boiler to the frame and that was using a furniture fitting that screws into wood an provides machine screw threads in the middle. Put it in the hole that the factory smoke stack went thru and will be held in place with a 1/4 X 20 SS bolt. Then at the same time I secured the cab with 2/56 screws on either side of the side cab openings after building up the area with styrene, in the picture that are a bright silver but will be changing them out for black hex head ones. Found some old steps from a LGB European coach and added them to the cab under the doors openings. The wood bunker is clipped on to the back of the cab and is secured from underneath with screws just like the factory one was so the cab will hold the rear of the boiler and the SS screw will hold the front. Little inside work, I painted on the wood load to give it more of a real appearance and it came out pretty good also dabbed some on the cab to give it a faded wood look. Think I'm going to try some cloth on the cab roof to give it a canvas look. Still have the side tanks to secure and a front bolster with coupler and coupler in the rear, more to come, Bill

Last edited by choochoowilly; 12-04-2019 at 10:08 AM. Reason: picture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in