Resin flattening and Glue - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Resin flattening and Glue

Not sure if this is the correct subforum for these questions. Did a search but didn't see an answer.

I bought a bunch of used plastic building facades. I think they are made of resin. They are exactly what I was looking for but a couple came apart during shipment. What is the best glue to stick them back together? The Piko glue doesn't work.

Also, a couple of them are a little warped so they lean forward. Is there a way to get them flat again? Such as can they be warmed up on a wax paper covered cookie sheet and put in the oven? If so, what is the right temperature for this without melting them? Is there a better, safer, way?

Lastly, is there an easy way to cut resin? The facades are solid pieces 1/4-1/2" thick. I want to cut out the windows and light them from behind. If it were wood I would use a Dremel but I think these would melt and not work right.

Last edited by Clubber; 02-18-2020 at 11:18 PM.
Clubber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Clubber,
Of course the question is what kind of resin?
We probably don't know, but I think most are more or less the same.
I have had success using a hair dryer, or heat gun, to gently heat the item until it just starts to go a little limp.
At that point if it has a 'flat' surface, put that side down on something flat until it cools and hardens.
If it is still not quite right, you can try again.
Don't over heat as I have actually stretched some parts out of shape.
As far as glue is concerned, I don't know what PIKO glue is, but I assume it is to glue injection molded plastic parts together, so probably needs to melt the plastic to join.
I don't think that resin can work that way, so either a CA or epoxy might be best.
For cutting out the windows, try the dremel in the middle of the window to see what happens. Not too fast a speed, and try not to breath in the dust, should work enough to use a file to get the corners nice and square.
Have fun and let us know how it goes.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you.
I am not sure what type of resin, or if it is resin. There are stickers on the back which say Copyright 1998 G. Bishop. Only thing I know as the seller bought them used.
I have tried soaking it in almost boiling water in a large cookie sheet but it doesn't seem to be hot enough.
I guess I will try the hot gun on low.
Clubber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

You might try some variation of the Flattening Warped Vinyl Records technique.
Homo Habilis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in