South Australian Railways Narrow Gauge Wagon 3 Passenger Car #3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2020, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default South Australian Railways Narrow Gauge Wagon 3 Passenger Car #3

This is a early passenger vehicle I've wanted to model for a while. I actually started this project prior to starting the ON, but just worked on and off when I was stuck on something. Now that the ON is done I'm moving on.

I've scaled most of the details from the plans, I took more pics at the Port Dock Museum when Harvey and Judy were travelling through.

I saved the plan as a DXF and loaded it into Sketchup and scaled off the frame, I then drew up the frame on paper in 1:24 to get an idea of the size.

NG PASSENGER 3 0 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Left angle shot of one end.

NG PASSENGER 3 1 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Right angle shot of the other end.

NG PASSENGER 3 2 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Interior shot showing off all of that cool woodwork.

NG PASSENGER 3 3 by taylorplains, on Flickr

This passenger car has a lot of character to it and should be a fun build.

Last edited by Scott; 09-03-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2020, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice passenger car Scott, I didn't know the SAR had these and lucky one is preserved.(I must get to the Port Dock train museum one day) At first glance of the drawing I thought a straight forward build but the photo's showed it is quite a job what with the "sunshade" over roof and details as well as the wood interior. This will look good when finished and especially the timber interior and all you need now is a Beyer Peacock 2-6-0 Y class to go with it, like the one that pokes it's nose in view next to the coach in one of your photo's.
I just completed a 1:20 scale wooden kit of a Victorian Railways "Puffing Billy" narrow gauge combine coach with stained wood interior and added a few more interior details. Not scratch built like your magnificent models but satisfying to build anyway.
I can't wait to see your passenger car build in progress and finished.
Russell
ferroequinologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ferro - the SAR had 4 of these (1,2,3 & 5), all Second Class Passenger.

From what I've found out is that the first 2 were made in the UK, while the other 2 were built here by Adelaide Loco Works in 1877. In 1882 it was converted to a employee sleeping van - withdrawn from service in 1969 then given to the Railway Museum (which has now restored it back to it's original glory).

The construction is a metal base frame sitting on 4 W irons with axle boxes and leaf spring suspension. No brake system or air line on this one.

It has a timber frame upper structure that is timber clad (exterior) and lined (interior) with bench seats as well as drop down windows.. The double roof is sometimes referred to as a Tropical Roof, the design allowing airflow passively through the vehicle. Electrical lighting was fitted afterwards as it was (then) a emerging technology.

Originally this ran on the NG lines out of Port Pirie to places like Gladstone and Jamestown. Those hardwood timber seats were the height of luxury for second class passengers in the late 1800's, especially on a long haul trip during the height of an Aussie summer.

Old 09-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It looks like the roof is elevated off the top of the car, possibly for ventilation, but I don't see any evidence of ventilation on the interior of the car?

Later,

K
East Broad Top is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Kevin.

The Colonial roofing to my knowledge used a double roof system where the outer roof kept the sun off of the lower roof creating a temperature barrier. With the gap having airflow moving between both layers during travel and removing the heat lowering the internal temperature providing comfort. Add in the raised central part inside to add to the passive air conditioning.

If you look at the plan and pics on the external side, there are timber louvres mounted above the windows leading to the grilles internally above the windows creating an airflow as well. Even so in 40 degree plus summer weather it would have been a tad warm for travellers.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Interesting. Makes sense now that you describe it. Kinda like an umbrella for keeping heat off the "actual" roof of the passenger cabin. Rather ingenious, those Victorians.

Later,

K
East Broad Top is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, a very interesting innovation. Furthermore to that and it is something I did forgot to mention in a previous post. If you reference the plan and look at the roof there are two roof mounted items that are part of the ventilation system - they are metal cylinders that have holes in them and vent air via the central raised part of the roof. If I can some pictures of the I'll put them up.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

This model lends itself very well in in the construction aspect is that it can be made from brass, styrene, and wood. It can be hand made, laser cut, CNC and 3D printed.

I've gone for the 3D printing aspect to further push those skills and the technology available as the ON wagon worked out really well on the 3D printing. I've worked on this on and off since 2017, so now its time to push forwards to completion.

This is the pencil draft layout of the frame to get a idea of how it works.

NG PASSENGER 3 4 by taylorplains, on Flickr

This is the initial draft on Sketchup prior to checking and cleanup.

NG PASSENGER 3 5 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Completed underframe with platform supports added.

NG PASSENGER 3 6 by taylorplains, on Flickr

End platforms done.

NG PASSENGER 3 7 by taylorplains, on Flickr

More to follow shortly.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Scott, looks like it is going to be another great creation. I find your work very inspiring, not to mention your attention to detail. LiG
Nick Jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2020, 08:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Cheers mate, I'm continually inspired by a number of modellers who create some beautiful work to a high standard - I feel I still have quite a way to go in that regards.

Placement of the platforms.

NG PASSENGER 3 8 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Close up of the platform, showing the coupler mount, coupler and drawbar support.

NG PASSENGER 3 9 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Underframe view showing the details - the coupler drawbar situation still needs sorting out. That will affect clearance on curves and switches.

NG PASSENGER 3 10 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Full underframe has been checked and small errors fixed.

NG PASSENGER 3 11 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Test fit of the end platform steps.

NG PASSENGER 3 12 by taylorplains, on Flickr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in