THANK YOU !!! Richard Smith.. (lot's of pics) - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default THANK YOU !!! Richard Smith.. (lot's of pics)

Richard, you da man...¬*

I had a day off today and the sunshine beckoned, the warm temps (50's anyway) called and Home Depot is only 1.3 miles away.¬*I took the opportunity to build out one section of the "Port Orford Style" benchwork section. I wanted to see how much effort was necessary, cost involved and time needed.¬*

It was quick & cheap... two of my favorite things.¬*

First a quick trip to the Depot.. $32.00 later I had the necesary things that I didn't already have at home, a roll of hardware cloth and four 2x4x8' pressure treated boards.¬*

Noon:¬* All the parts ready to go.

12:40 : The base framework structure complete.

1:10¬* :¬* A layer of hardware cloth installed.

1:25¬* :¬* The "Elbow Rest" installed (I like that name Richard)

1:45¬* :¬* A layer of 'recycled' landscape fabric (reduce, reuse, recycle... save the world... plus I'm cheap)

1:55¬* :¬* Roadbed and track¬*installed..

2:10¬* :¬* Against the fence for a good look..... I like it!

Of course I couldn't have done it without my capable assistants...

Bruneau...

And Domino

Overall the build went very easily, I'm quite impressed. I would have infilled with some dirt to complete the look but it's all still frozen.... Call the Cops Richard, I'm stealing your idea..¬*

One down... 21 more to go..
www.lonepeakandwestern.bravehost.com
Dave F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: THANK YOU !!! Richard Smith.. (lot's of pics)

Raised railways are certainly easy on the back, especially when switching.
¬*
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with your sentiment about the great idea Richard has come up with for building raised train platforms that are way beyond the look of just plain wooden decks. I have already made 25 4x8 platforms and and have the scattered around my back yard.¬*I am just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can dig holes, install the support legs and tie them together into a continuious road bed. I would post pictures but I don't know how to reduce the size of my photos. My grandson said he would show me how when he comes down to visit. By the way my grandson is 12, don't you just love it when someone that young can teach an old geezer new tricks.

Richard you should consider having GR publish an article on your system. I think a lot of fellow garden railroaders would love to see it.

John
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

John, I agree that GR should publish an article on Richard's system. I find it a cross between an indoor and outdoor layout, with the advantages of both. The only disadvantage I see is cost; considerably more investment (up front) than just a trench method, but it has dividends of low or no maintenance that a trench has long term; including track heaving, weeds, sinking ballast, etc. But you can still have plants, it's a higher elevation for easy access, and you start with a blank canvass so you can customize it exactly the way you want. My next layout will definitely have at least a section of Richard's system.

I think it needs a name other than Richard's system, kind of like the Logan Ladder. What would folks call this? Richard's Bench?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great looking job Dave . You're off to a spectacular start. And with helpers like you've got the sky's the limit! []

Just one point you may or may not wish to consider. I install the arm rest after the sections are installed using staples alone to hold down the fabric and screen at that point. This allows me to overlap the arm rest a bit to span between sections for extra strength. Not an absolute necessity but it gives a better and more continuous look.

John
I'm on very slow dialup or I would offer to receive, resize and post your photos for you. I can maybe do a couple if the photos aren't more than 1 or 2 megs in size. Email me ahead prior to sending them and I'll clear the decks for action! I can also just return downsized 640x480 photos to you via email for you to save and post yourself.

Jim,
Before you know it we will all have faded into oblivion. hehe! Maybe "Nonentity Benchwork" would be more long lived! As to an article, my construction photos have all been posted on the web for years and it wouldn't be fair or ethical to GR to send previously published photos. Marc Horovitz is a very nice person to work with. If any of you wish to submit an article on your new construction using this benchwork system please feel free to do so. Everything I've posted is with no strings attached! []

I hope those of you using raised benchwork will provide feedback as to your experiences, problems, etc., in your particular locations as I can only comment on those in coastal Oregon. I'm very anxious to see your railroads up and running.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dave,

I have but one Project Dog, and she's helped me do just about all the projects I've got, even the menial chores!!¬* Always right there ready for me to take that break and throw her ball so she can do her job and retrieve!

I've seen the method before, but I've never given this much thought.¬* I have a rail yard that's not too big, but the way the land is, it has a very steep entry / exit.¬* It might be well suited to use this type of construction, rather than fill.¬*¬*

Mark

Mark Oles
Millersvillanova Railroad, Lancaster, PA
markoles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Richard (and everyone else)

As you stated, I did think of the overlaping elbow rails. As I get deeper into the project I may try that. As for now, I think I'm going to keep them as is. I'm considering building them as a "modular" type system so I can move (or remove) them if the Boss (spelled W-i-f-e) is unhappy with their placement. [img]/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif[/img]
www.lonepeakandwestern.bravehost.com
Dave F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Posted By Dave F on 02/13/2008 4:00 PM
Thanks Richard (and everyone else)

As you stated, I did think of the overlaping elbow rails. As I get deeper into the project I may try that. As for now, I think I'm going to keep them as is. I'm considering building them as a "modular" type system so I can move (or remove) them if the Boss (spelled W-i-f-e) is unhappy with their placement. [img]/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif[/img]

I understand Dave. You're answering to a higher authority!¬* [img]/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif[/img]¬* ¬*
Old 02-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Richard thanks for the offer to fix my pictures. I had a meeting last Sunday at my home of the club I am in. It is called the Shoreline Garden Railroad Club. One of the members just added some pictures he took of my underconstruction layout and added them to our club website. If you go to¬* trainweb.org/shoreline¬* you will see what stage¬*I am currently at in the back yard construction. When you get to the site you will have to page down to the last group of pictures of members layouts. Mine is called¬* John & Pat (Under construction). This will give you some idea of what I am doing. My layout will be a dogbone about 100' long with a 40' diameter loop on one end and a 25' loop on the other end. It will be a combination point to point with a double main running around the perimeter of the dogbone. The picture of the sample 4x8 table was what I had set up in my basement for the members to see what a section would look like with some tract, trains and structures set on top. I just made some cardboard mock ups for buildings. Notice the extremely well detailed turntable simulation.

John
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to NTCGRR

Dave looks good.
I'll tell ya, Richards RR is always in the back of my mind. I think he needs to be in GRYs mag.

Marty Cozad
North Table Creek GRR
Nebraska City, NE
Is it "REAL" or just 1:29 th
NTCGRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in