Wood for ties - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wood for ties

I am installing a stranded bamboo floor. I was wondering if this would be good for ties?

Lou
dpotp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Wood for ties

I don't think that it would be a good candidate for something exposed to the elements. Assuming that your are talking about the flooring that is made up of glued strands of bamboo, I would be concerned about its long term ability to not de-laminate. While the bamboo itself is kind of resistant to various rots and insects who know what the glue's properties are and what effect ground and weather exposure will have. Depending on the brand I would also be concerned about the glue's UV resistance. To my knowledge the UV resistance of the flooring is usually due to its surface finish and not inherent in other components of its manufacture.

Also, this type of flooring is very hard on the Janka Hardness scale and driving spikes in it will be rather difficult without drilling. And, once the spike is driven in, will it stay put or work itself out over time?

I guess you could make a small section to test in the elements to see what happens after a while. Perhaps make some ties and place then in water for a couple of weeks or longer to see what happens. Just keep in mind all of the various weather related elements the ties will be exposed to throughout the year(s) in your particular area.

I would think it's better to use more traditional lumber such as cedar or heart redwood. But many people have success with products and techniques that others do not. Perhaps you will be one of those who have success, but from my view it looks doubtful.

Good luck!
Homo Habilis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

"Stranded bamboo floor is the best bamboo flooring because It's made up with thick wood material which can absorb moisture & give you the best services as compared oak wood for long time.So go with stranded bamboo flooring will give you the best result"

OK, do we really need a Spammer on a 6 year old thread? I have reported this once. What does it take to get rid of them? They even have a link to their business.

I get enough of this garbage via email, David Meashey

P.S. Problem removed. Post now redundant.

Last edited by Dave Meashey; 04-23-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
P.S. Problem removed. Post now redundant.
Yep. I reported it yesterday when I saw the adv link. Probably a dozen others did too!
Old 05-04-2020, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Santa Fe railroad was looking for a long lasting wood and thought they had found the perfect tree down under. They planted a large grove in southern California, they only harvested one tree, seems as though Eucalyptus grows with a twist and they couldn't cut a flat tie!
The grove became an oasis in N San Diego county aptly called Rancho Sante Fe.
No foolin.

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.

Last edited by Totalwrecker; 05-04-2020 at 06:37 PM. Reason: must be serious....
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Modulator

I can see RSF from my railroad, besides the twist, eucalyptus splits easily, won't hold spikes. Limbs fall off from healthy trees, called "widowmakers" in Australia.

Funny, the people in RSF think it's named after Santa Fe New Mexico. They get upset when I tell them their elite community is named after a railroad, and their trees a failed experiment.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2020, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, the railroad was named for the city, so there is just one level of indirection.
KeithRB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

And eucalyptus has a lot of oil in it. Burns fast and hot as we found out when the Oakland CA hills went up in smoke in the 90's
fyrekop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2020, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Yep, we had a bad fire in La Costa, just west of us, and that is west of Rancho Santa Fe.

The trees burned, and then lit the old cedar shake roofs of La Costa. We were standing in our to-be-completed house, which was framed but not sheathed, and were ducking cinders, and we were 3 miles away.

We have a small grove of eucalyptus just down the hill from us, between us and the golf course, and we do worry a bit during fire season.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

The railroad just picked the wrong variety of Eucalyptus, Australian railways have been using them since the 1800's
You will find that when Eucalyptus burns it is most likely the oil that catches first, it is released from the leaves and the tree does what the firefighters call "Gas". It is observable when it starts as the tree has a haze around it which then violently erupts like a petrol fire. It is not fun to be around and when I first experienced it I was absolutely terrified as it happened so fast.
Eucalyptus evolved around fire and will come back fairly quickly after one.
In the last bushfire season there were what is termed "ember attacks" in excess of 10 Km away due to the strong winds.

Last edited by Batsco; 05-08-2020 at 05:10 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Batsco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in