RR Rehab in AZ - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default RR Rehab in AZ

Hello

I have been asked to rehabilitate a large G scale layout in the Phoenix area. It currently has about 1300 feet of double track mainline meandering loop that has an elevation change of 10-15 feet from one end to the other. The track hasn't had any maintenance done to for 5 or more years. The track panels are all brass track, but there is no power in the track, all trains are battery driven.

The roadbed is in bad shape, a lot of track has shifted due to heat expansion/contraction. The roadbed seems to be made of a sand/clay composition that maybe had some kind of glue or binding agent put on the top to create a hard surface. I suspect that we will have to remove all the track, remove the existing roadbed, and place a new roadbed, before we relay the track.

I would like to hear your recommendations for roadbed construction, including materials and techniques that you like or don't like. The current owner is willing to invest in doing it the "right way" as opposed to the fast or cheap way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-06-29 12.28.28.jpg (593.7 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by RailPup_Design; 07-23-2019 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added image
RailPup_Design is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Concrete is best, or I think so.
Dennis
denray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I like to float mine on ballast. Since expansion and contraction are constants, I need to push it back after it has been pushed out.
I elevated my layout, so the ballast is on top of planks.

Problem with glued ballast is cracks or rail kinks if it doesn't give.
I rake up sand on my dirt driveway after a monsoon has separated it by size in the run off.
Broken or crushed rock has sharp corners that interlock, round rock travels

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

I remember seeing a video of a cab ride on that layout which is quite impressive by its sheer size and rather generous radius curves. I would just fix the portions that need it at least from the photo you showed. Especially if it isn't track powered. As John says if you fix the track down in that kind of climate you are going to have big issues with expansion. And it will create spectacular hernias in the track. Besides with a 15' level change it is probably unsuitable for live steam except radio controled.
du-bousquetaire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Been a while since there has been an update from this July posting of rehabbing a railroad layout in Phoenix area? Any progress, or did the member give up. That would be a lot of track to relay. I agree with Dennis on the base. I use concrete (I'm in north Phoenix/Glendale area). It does get hot and cold during the various seasons. What we don't have is a lot of rain. I place my rail on top of the concrete bed and use alum strips (about 1-1/2" long) and drill through the strip and into the concrete. Using an expansion sleeve and a stainless steel screw, I can adjust the pressure on the ties. This allows the network of track to move...very little, but keeps it straight. I also work on lots of shade structures to prevent the Arizona sun and UV from having a lot of affect on the rails (we often swing 30 degrees between day and night. Anyway, it would be interesting to hear how this project is coming along.
FlagstaffLGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Can you post a picture of your "sleeve" setup?

Thanks, Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Been a while since there has been an update from this July posting
One interesting characteristic of MLS recently has been the incidence of one-time posts asking questions and then drifting away. I, too, would like to know whether our diligent attempts to help are falling on deaf ears!
Maybe MLS comes up first in all the Google searches? Maybe the other results provide better help? Who knows.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just curious.
Do you think that this YouTube video is of the same layout?
The first rock wall and large "mushroom" shaped light, if that's what it is, look very similar to the original photo posted.
Some of the track base when the video was made looks a little questionable to me back then!
If it is not the same track then I apologize.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Very likely, I forgot the name of the layout, but the "D" is Dynamite....

Famous layout where someone also tried for the longest train record, multiple locos with LocoLinc and multiple engineers, untrained... also the scandal about the USA Trains well cars... it was not the owner that did the ripoff...

I heard that this land/layout was sold recently, so maybe the new owner wants it fixed.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Greg.... Yup.......... That's the Dynamite Rio Verde and Eastern. The video that David posted was back in 2003 just after the completion of the layout.

The Arizona sun and sand has been a killer for the RR. It's a very high maintenance layout but the owner and manager are great people.

Pup.. I hope you can help with the restoration.
Stan Cedarleaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in