Dirt, Ties and Track - Page 3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2020, 10:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr.Fred View Post
.my name is Fred Mills....
The problem is that the walls will collapse...with any moisture build up.....or even without it.. Your engineering knowledge is questionable. The ties themselves can be built into durable, attractive, retaining walls, but your methods are failing....
I'm sorry to be blunt, but I just hate to see such effort wasted when with proper planning, it could have been done so much more attractively, and much more durable, at no extra cost.
CONSULT an expert, if you don't believe me....PLEASE.

Blunt is good, Fred. I asked and got what you gave. Remember, this is Arizona, and it's a rare day or month when there's more than an inch of precipitation, so moisture is not as big a problem as where you are up there in Canada. But if things do break down, I can and will fix them.

This has taken about a month and a half from bare land to what you see. The retaining walls may not be as pretty as they could be, but so far they are doing the job they are meant to do.
zr1rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default Pics of trains on the tracks

I've posted a couple of videos in the "Finally a Train" thread, but pics give the best resolution, and can sort of give a 'feeling' to a scene. And tho I don't have anything other than the dirt as my landscaping/scenery so far, these pics kind of reflect the feel of what I was aiming for in this layout build. I'm going to post more pics later.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Modulator

I agree that you may have to do some support as the dirt settles. I assume you have something like we have here in San Diego, decomposed granite.

Many people do not understand how it works and settles, and drains much differently than "dirt".

I applaud you for getting going and making something happen, and I think a key point that people are missing (and this is my interpretation) is that you are not afraid to change a plan, rebuild parts, upgrade support etc.

Also, who cares if your dirt walls "lean"?

All in all, good for you, and the most fun, getting a train to run and circuit the track is what it is all about. You really did a lot in record time.

Congrats!

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thanks Greg! Really appreciate the compliments from someone who understands my environment!

I've replaced the turnouts with #6s and a wye. All Aristo except one that is USA Trains. The USAT switch is the best of the bunch - it doesnt have anything that needs to be fixed. And it is brass, the others are all NS.

The point rails were tight (gauge was too small) squeezing and derailing cars. So a Dremel with a grinder bit shaved them down to the right size. Also, the tips where they touch the outer rails was stubby, so I ground them down to more of a point.

I read the writeups by Ted D on your site. He makes mention of the guard rails being too far from the outer rails, requiring their removal and replacing them closer. I'm going to make those changes eventually, but not now. It will mean pulling up those Aristo switches. I'm going to leave well enough alone as the trains are doing well (meaning, no derailments!). This winter I'll do some more work. It's been a record summer here. I'm so looking forward to the fall and winter!
Old 09-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #25 (permalink)

I don't know what you are getting there but here north of Albuquerque we are going from record high temp to record low in 2 days. The wind is crazy.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Rob, you can use small thin brass stock to shim the guardrails.

Another thing to do is check the back to back gauge on all your cars and locos. This combined with the work you have done on your switches will increase reliability, but you sound off to a good start.

The Aristo and USA Trains locos are almost always undergauge. It's part of the legacy of the sloppy tolerances of toy trains.

Some day we'll talk on the phone and I'll put the pieces together for you, and then it will be a flash of understanding how we have these sloppy tolerances on our switches.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #27 (permalink)

I'd like that. There are some things that I would like to ask. Like, what is 'back to back gauge'?

And here are a couple more pics. This train has an Aristo SD45 with an USAT SD40 trailing, something I couldn't do until widening some curves and lowering some grades.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Rob, all this basic stuff is on my site, I wrote it up as I learned it: (and refine it continuously as things change or more sturr is learned)

https://elmassian.com/index.php/larg...heel-standards

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in