Battery backup for irrigation system - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Battery backup for irrigation system

At the SWGRS this weekend, I spoke with a friend of mine regarding how long she irrigates her GRR and what kind of watering system she uses. She watered daily, sometimes twice a day during the HOT summer months. During the conversation, she told me a story of a club member here in San Diego that left for two weeks in August, and when he returned, he came home to a completely dead GRR plant situation. While he had been gone, there had been a power loss and his controller hadn't restarted...so nothing was watered.

Now I have a new flash memory based irrigation controller that has a battery in it to keep its clock and processing going during power outages but I realized from this discussion that if the power outage was an extended one...as might happen if a bad fire took out power for days like the snow has in Connecticut...while the clock would keep going, there's be insufficient power to run the valves.

Has anyone got a solution for this? How would one keep the irrigation system operating if power was out for days? I realize I could install a whole battery charger/battery/inverter hookup to keep it powered, but perhaps there's a simpler solution. Any ideas?

Old 11-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Battery backup for irrigation system

It's a long story but my watering system happens to be connected to a 1500va UPS along with another piece of hardware. I've had power go out several times for the night when the yard is to be watered and the UPS did make it through the entire time of watering my yard. However, I think this is overboard solution for your problem. My irrigation system is only 3 years old however it doesn't have a battery option thus it's connected to a UPS. There's "build in memory" but I have had it reset the time and date (but not the programming) three times during some power failures and I had the UPS nearby so I just plugged it into that and my problem was solved. New consumer irrigation systems run $30-$60 depending if it's 6 to 14 zones and as long as it supports a battery (9v) you should be fine with just one of these Unless the power is out for multiple days. Chances are if your power is out for multiple days you can hand water. If you're on vacation then having a neighbor call you if power is out for over a day would work as well. I know some hobby green house growers who have UPS's but after 20 years of experience with almost all brands most you can expect to last 2-4 years is all which is expensive to keep replacing batteries (or the entire unit). New consumer irrigation controllers also have some pretty nice features like multiple programs (ie: you can set drip or sprinklers for flowers to come on 2-3 times a day but your grass sprinklers only once).
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

There are certainly systems that are powered by battery for the timer, but use the city water pressure to run without the need for city power to activate the solonoids. But these are typically connected directly to your hose bib so you are limited to one "station." I guess you could make a "bib manifold" to run several sequentially.
toddalin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Modulator

The simplest is a cheap UPS, and one you could interrogate remotely through your network.

All my stuff runs from a single server, which has a battery backup, lights, sprinklers, fountains, etc. This way, while there is a single point of failure, it's normally a failure with the UPS not wanting to turn back on. Since my UPS does a weekly and monthly test, then all that happens on a power outage that exceeds the battery backup time, is to restart the UPS (only sometimes).

I'd just put a big ups on your system, and it should run your system for a long time on battery.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

As long as the Sun is still around, we should make use of it. One solution could be to embed a micro solar panel with the irrigation controller.
Something like this perhaps ? http://www.brazix.com/prodfly.asp?It...FY5Y7AodCG19FA

Cheers,
Victor
VictorSpear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Have you measured the current it draws? Should be trivial, most when a solenoid is open.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Haven't had the opportunity yet, but your'e right..I'd use a better battery combo with one of those low cost 2 watt Sunforce chargers...

I have a different problem - surrounded by too much water and too much Sun.
VictorSpear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, I was thinking in a little larger terms. We use a solor system to power a electric fence for cattle. The system is actually pretty compact. The array is about a 16" x 12" size mounted on top of a 4' pole. Then we use two car batteries connected in series to provide the power to the fence. It provides more than enough power to charge the fence overnight and then some.

I would think this would be more then enough for your power needs.

Deadwood & Black Hills Western [/b] High Line of the Black Hills[/i]

Jake Smith, Chief Engineer - Hayward, SD
jake3404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

The valves pull 1/4 amp. So, at 28 volts, they burn up 7 watts/hour of operation. I have three valves...so that's 21 watts/hour of operation per cycle. They run daily for less than 30 minutes per cycle. That would work out to around 10.5 watt/hours/day max. Given that, a 1000va/700w UPS (a little one), should be able to support operations on my GRR for 66 days.

I'm off to buy a little UPS.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks folks, this was funny. I was searching for a way protect my house sprinkler system from those 1 second power outs that force me to go into the garage and reset the date/time so the sprinklers come on when they should. I mostly ignored the "Large Scale.." id on the website and just read the various posts, not realizing you might be talking about a (what is a this?) GRR.

I love trains, always wanted to make some space for HO or maybe N scale and here I stumble on something that might get me motivated again (lots of work right, need lots of time, I haven't had much). Oh well good ideas you have. We are buying a stationary whole house generator and of course the problem with that is they don't kick in quickly enough (nor should they) to cover the monthly 1 sec power clips. So I'm looking at one that runs on battery and hopefully also on A/C.
Tomball Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in