Moss problem - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Moss problem

One of my tracks on my two track main line is handlaid with oak ties and brass rails. As the weather has changed, we get much more rain and this has lead to my ballast (which is over scale size loose ballast) being invaded by moss. My track is ground level on a concrete base in clayish soil as we are beneath a forest on the north side of the valley's which is a hundred and fifty feet away. Getting rid of this moss is a real chore taking a huge amount of time every spring. it is also getting painful as I grow older. I am looking for a solution to get rid of it chemically with no success so far. The chemical must not harm the wood in the ties, the brass (many use copper oxide...), nor the grass which is next to the concrete base... Qite a dilemna.
du-bousquetaire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I actually like the moss look myself. I wish I had your problem :-) Got any photos to share, I'd love to see it.

Have you tried Roundup - from Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace? I have not found anything green it will not kill off. Spray on a non-windy day, and when it will not rain for 24 hours. Use a cardboard barrier (hold it vertically as you spray) between the track and the grass so you don't accidentally get it on the grass. They have the new gallon size that comes with an automatic pump and wand. Makes it a piece of cake, like the pros.

-Jim
Old 06-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just spray on some vinegar/water mix, that should take care of it.
Jerry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ha! mee too! have been trying to get moss to grow in and aound my tracks! i think it looks kinda like 1:20.3 grass
Old 06-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

When I use "Ortho weed be gone" on weeds in the layout, it also kills the moss. Which in my case is unfortunate because I like the moss. The advantage of this Ortho product is that it doesn't kill grass. I can zap weeds in the lawn with it and kill the weeds, and not harm the grass.

All of the "green" ground cover is moss.

I find that it peals up very easily in areas where I don't want it.

Chuck

Last edited by chuck n; 06-22-2016 at 03:45 PM.
chuck n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

When not viable to extract by hand tools, I use only straight household vinegar to suppress 'weeds'.

It won't kill you (and significant others), like other chem'. imho.

doug c
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

Wish I had a moss problem, I desire the tracks to be overgrown with moss so all I see are mostly the rails and not the ties or ballest. Mike
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I model two roads that had pretty neat track in the period I am modeling Pennsy and the Nord railway of france, both tended to have manucured ballast and track.
Also one of my two tracks is hand laid and is on oak ties (that have stood up some 38 years in parts) so I want to keep the moss out of that. Just as a way to keep the ties from rotting. My track is on concrete base in clayish soil. Northern exposure except in summer. The problem was critical this spring because we had endless rain from April until July.
On sidings and in the engine terminal I enjoy moss too but keep it away from the high iron! I cant post photos or haven't succeded so far. Charles printed some photos of my pike a few years back.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
TLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by du-bousquetaire View Post
I model two roads that had pretty neat track in the period I am modeling Pennsy and the Nord railway of france, both tended to have manucured ballast and track.
Also one of my two tracks is hand laid and is on oak ties (that have stood up some 38 years in parts) so I want to keep the moss out of that. Just as a way to keep the ties from rotting. My track is on concrete base in clayish soil. Northern exposure except in summer. The problem was critical this spring because we had endless rain from April until July.
On sidings and in the engine terminal I enjoy moss too but keep it away from the high iron! I cant post photos or haven't succeded so far. Charles printed some photos of my pike a few years back.
I have used wooden sleepers [ ties ] [ hardwood parquet flooring tiles cut to size ] with brass flat bottomed rail pinned to them, they get a coat of creosote or it's modern equivalent every three years, so far no moss on the track but it grows either side where the conditions allow it.
The track is loose ballasted with screws to hold it in positon where needed, some of it has been down for some twenty five years.

Shaun
TLR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Actually Shaun moss wasn't a problem untill quite recently when the climate changed and we got a lot more rain and longer rainy spells (this year it lasted three months). Then it got bad and soon became a chore to get rid of. I am thinking of covering up the ereas most hit this winter to see if it saves the hastle. Also our northern exposure means that my track practically never sees the direct sunlight from late October to March, during which time the moss thrives. It is also wet nearly that whole period of the year. But for a good 25 years Moss wasn't a problem. It started when I experimented with glued scale ballast. Some sections have stood up very well with glued ballast some were invaded after a couple of years. My track is on concrete but surrounded with grass (and moss in the grass) This makes a nice scenic effect but is quite different from most US pikes seen where the track is lost in a sea of gravel. Thats OK if you model the West but I model French and Appalachian roads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in