Pond liner - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pond liner

I have a waterfall going into a lined small pond down a short stream to a larger pond where my bridge will cross it. I am using a pond liner and was wondering about any tips on how to get all the wrinkles out.
KeithRB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

No way to get them all out. Cover with gravel.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was afraid of that. I had a pretty successful wet dry run over the weekend, so I think I am good to go.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Pond Liner

Hello Keith,
Yes there is a way to do this. We used have a 4,000 gallon pond, kidney shaped with plant ledges on the sides. I think through the centreline the pond was 24 feet long and 38" deep at middle of the bottom slope.
The liner was EPDM and what I did was purchase an over sized sheet for the liner and cut the liner to fit using duct tape to hold it together with a four inch overlap. I then rolled the whole lot up and took it to a local rubber contractor and had all the joints vulcanized. I also used a 2 inch thick Styrofoam between the liner and the clay sides and bottom.
The liner was in service for sixteen years with no issues at all. When I closed the pond I had several people willing to buy it from me. The pond was located in central Alberta and every winter when I shut it down I framed over it with 2x4's and a large tarpaulin. The snow covering acted as an insulator and throughout the winters when ever I took a peak there was never ice on it. The nine koi in the pond did very well and grew to over 26 inch with several attempts at mating.
BTW the reason we decided to close the pond was to allow us more flexibility for traveling.
We certainly miss the pond and I'm sure you will get great enjoyment and satisfaction from yours.
All the best.
Cheers.

Last edited by harvey; 03-22-2019 at 02:08 AM.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2019, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

The bottom looks like it is covered with rock?
Old 03-23-2019, 02:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hello Mike, The side ledge has some rocks on it, but the only rocks on the bottom would be the ones I dropped over the edge. The lily plant boxes are sitting on the bottom and we were both surprised that after cutting them down in the fall they were up on the surface again in the spring and in full leaf before the other plants could recover from the winter. When excited the koi used to make a real mess of the lily's and they would end up in a big bunch in the middle of the pond.
The bottom was actually sloped about six inches from end to end with the deep end just in front of the strainer box.
The circulation pump was 500 gpm pumping through a 75 Gal. bio filter.
As I previously mentioned we really miss the pond.
I think you should be able to see the ledge in this picture.

Cheers.

Last edited by harvey; 03-23-2019 at 02:30 AM.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, Mine will be nothing like that scale. See my new thread so I can update on the progress.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default .

I think you should lay stones on top of this, or some kind of slab. Everything will be fine if there are suitable tools at hand, for example, like cordless roofing nailer .
Luci8478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Check out rock on a roll great stuff https://www.rock-on-a-roll.com/
choochoowilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in