accucraft BR Britannia Class 7 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default accucraft BR Britannia Class 7

Has anyone purchased the Accucraft BR Britannia Class 7 and if so what are your comments on the loco as I am thinking of buying one. Also does anyone know what the dimensions of the loco and tender are as they donot give it. Accucraft are not very good on the info side of things, you get more info for a cheap $45 DVD player than there loco's.
Regards
Wayne
Mr Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: accucraft BR Britannia Class 7

Wayne.............the engine tender combo is a little over 26 inches long. It is a nicely made engine that is not fragile in its construction. Being familiar with spirit firing is helpful. It is a strong puller with a distinctive chuff ti it. It makes steam in 4 minutes and runs for another 25/30 minutes. It looks best pulling some British type cars or wagons. It is a close coulped engine so I keep the engine and tender connected all the time even when stored. I give it a thums up.
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here are the specs Trevor gave to me. (Trevor designed it. It is a gauge1modelcompany engine, but accucraft is handling the US sales).

Fuel- 140ml
tender-200ml
boiler-250ml
length- 660mm
height- 120mm
width- 85mm
weight- 6.5 kilos
min. radius- 2m (Trevor has stated that it needs a good 2 hours run in time to loosen all the valve gear enough for it not to stall out on 2m curves, but if it did at first, it was due to things still being tight).

Remember, British trains were small.

Sal, you obviously got your replacement engine. Seems to run fine for you?

Seems as though getting the wick lengths just right is vital with this engine, but once you do it seems it runs just dandy. Another tip is to open the oil booster just briefly then close, or it will run through steam oil.

If you still want one, I don't think there are many left, but I know accucraft still has them available on their site.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Everything I have heard about this engine has been positive, even on the British sites. Well designed and well built, so ditto Iceclimber, except for the bit about British trains being small.

So lads, in your best Jim Backus voice, "Oh Magoo........ Youve done it again"

Rob Meadows

Los Angeles
Ding Dong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Compare a British Pacific type (BR class 7 4-6-2) with an American Pacific type (K4s 4-6-2). Which one is bigger? I was wrong to imply all British trains are small, but this one certainly is smaller than it's western relative.

For further proof, check out the specs for Aster's K4s 4-6-2 with the Britannia. Both are in 1:32 scale.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

"British trains were small"

An LMS Duchess, built in the late 1930's, hauling the Royal Scot from London To Edinburgh with 18 coaches on, during the busy summer period is hardly a small train.

Rob Meadows

Los Angeles
Ding Dong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Posted By Mr Magoo on 10 Mar 2011 05:09 PM
Accucraft are not very good on the info side of things, you get more info for a cheap $45 DVD player than there loco's.
Regards
Wayne

That's because AccuCraft are not the initiators of this model. It is made by the company that build FOR Accucraft, but it was funded and designed by another company here in UK.

I've seen three running so far, and all went very well indeed, and looked good in front of 10-12 'blood and custard' passenger coaches. The first run of the prototype showed it hauling 22 heavily-built British coaches from a standing start, and on a curve.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
tacfoley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 01:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

OK, let's put this baby to bed before it gets acrimonious - sure, British trains are teeny-weeny tichy-wichy, itsy-bitsy little things by comparison with US/Can trains, but so are US/Can trains by comparison with Russian trains. Guess I'm the first one to mention that, eh?

It's horses for courses. A small and highly built-up country that invents the train in the fust place, and puts most of the infrastructure - bridges, tunnels and so on - in place before the end of the 1840's, cannot be expected to have the gigantic machines we associate with North America, where most cities did not even exist as such at that time. A quick look that the railway map of UK in the late 1800s might come as a real surpise to you over in the US or even Canada.

It's one thing to have a single-track line that runs 'from sea to shining' sea, but to have 40,000 miles of track in place that, as we have been recently reminded, is one third the size of Texas, just has to be impressive.

I reckon respect is due, rather than denigration.

tac
tacfoley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

My comment was not intended to be taken in a negative way. I said what I said and backed up what I said. Tac, you are right, all that track is indeed impressive. My comment was more to let Wayne know that even at 1/32 scale the boiler would be a bit smaller, hence the shorter run time, but with the axle pump properly set, it really doesn't matter.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Jeremiah,

You are right on that point, a good axle pump can surely aid in nice long runs. On my Flying Scotsman I have often gotten 50 minute runs, like this one...

Although I did have to replenish the water in the tender about three times...

Steamtom 1
Steamaholics Number 3.1416
Michigan Small Scale Live Steamers
steamtom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in