Britannia in Gauge 3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Britannia in Gauge 3

It is rare for a commercially batch of G3 steamers to made. Here we have an exception however with some thing approaching 50 of these 'Pavie' designed gas fired Britannia's recently released onto the UK market. These are not cheap with a price tag of somewhere around £3000 but surprisingly I understand that most have now been sold. As the Brits were among the last steam locomotives to be made in the UK you would expect them to be popular with some folk remembering seeing them. What is surprising though is that the majority were bought by folk who were not members of the G3 society. I guess folk are happy just to display them on a shelf somewhere. This is a shame as you can see on this youtube video just how well the run! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D75zbxMEnnU

main131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Britannia in Gauge 3

I saw one in display at GRS in Princes Risborough early last month - most impressive looking locomotive and very large. The only down side for me was that it was gas fired (personal i just don't like fiddling about with gas). GRS has a number ofother smaller G3 locomotives and carrages available too - worth a visit to see - and the shop has a very extensive range of G scale stuff too

PHIL
Johnsop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Trevor, thanks for posting the YouTube video.
This is the first time I have seen the Bowande G3 Britannia in action. It runs well and these stories of it being short of steam prove to be false. I would prefer alcohol or coal rather than gas but despite this disadvantage the 'beat' from the chimney is quite good and not overwhelmed by burner howl.

It also looks like a Britannia!

Andrew
AsterUK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Gorgeous engine. Beautiful venue. Thanks for sharing.

My understanding is that Gauge 3 was once a "ride-on" gauge. The engines and track heavily built to carry the engineer on a riding car. Is this still done??

Thanks again, Bob
SA #13

xo18thfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in