Good Book on Precision Turning - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Good Book on Precision Turning

I'm looking for a good "how to" book on precision turning - how to accurately realign the tool with the work when changing tools, etc. Any suggestions?
Dwight Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Good Book on Precision Turning

The army has a machinery handbook training manual you can download in .pdf. I have it if you want it's 8 meg. I have a quick change tool post for my Jet 9 x 20. The Machinery Handbook is good too but around 60.00 bucks I don't have one but a friend does.
KYYADA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 04:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Dwight,
I don't think you'll find much in a modern presentation. The reason is the problem does not exist when you have a good quality quick change toolpost coupled with a DRO that keeps track of your tool offsets. Each of my tool holders is labeled with a number which is used to identify it to the DRO. It takes only a second to swap tools, and tell the DRO which tool is in use. Then the DRO corrects the diameter/z coordinates for the offset of the current tool relative to tool #1.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Hume is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Dwight - You may want to invest in a quick change tool post for you lathe. They make life so much easier when changing from tool to tool and have a simple adjustment for up and down. As for realigning the tool back you can try the paper method....With you tool bit away from the stock stick a small piece of paper (plain white it notepad) between the work and the bit. When you bring the bit close to the stock you should be able to pull the paper out without tearing it. You then are just a thou or two from the stock and can start your turning from that point.

To get centered up and down quickly you can stick a small 6" ruler between the bit and the stock. Hold the ruler to the stock with the tool bit and look at the angle it is at. It quickly tells you if you are dead center ot up or down and can adjust accordingly.

Jason Kovac
Hazlet, NJ
SA# 79
http://www.thetraindepartment.com Your source for Regner, Roundhouse, Accucraft and live steam accessories
Kovacjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Dwight:
Join the Sherline Yahoo eGroup. Search on books or post your question there - I remember finding some really great books/authors from the site members.

Alternative:
SmartFlix - http://smartflix.com/ Online tech video rentals.

Multiple vendors online for these sorts of how to videos.
Chris Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi Dwight,
To set the height pretty darn close, use a thin strip of brass between the tool point and the work, slowly bring the tool point to the work.
You should be able to tell by the way the strip moves, toward you is low and away is high.

Dave PFRR
Old 05-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Posted By Dave Sykes on 05/29/2008 12:52 PM
Hi Dwight,
To set the height pretty darn close, use a thin strip of brass between the tool point and the work, slowly bring the tool point to the work.
You should be able to tell by the way the strip moves, toward you is low and away is high.
Dave PFRR

Hi Dave,
Back when I was in school our teachers recommended using cigarette paper for this purpose (I'm sure Dwight has a good supply on hand ) ...
www.wegmuller.org
dwegmull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanks for the excellent tips guys!

One thing I was thinking of is when changing from a left-hand to right-hand tool. Even with a quick-change tool post, and assuming one uses calipers or somesuch to make sure the tool-to-toolpost length is the same, setting the carriage so the cutting point of the new right-hand tool is precisely where the poijnt of the old left-hand tool was... is it better to grind a combo right-left hand tool for these situations so tool changing is unnecessary? Is there some easy trick to line things up again if tools are changed?

So much to learn, so little time!
Dwight Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in