One truck heisler build log - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default One truck heisler build log

Many of you have probably seen the attached photo before.
I saw this in a Heisler book and thought it would be a fun project.
Some of the challenging things about it are:

The exhaust stack comes out of the cab rather than out the smoke box
There is a crankshaft between the two axles that appears to drive them.
There are no dimensions for it and we don't even know what gauge track it was built for

Looking at the amount of setback the wheels seem to have from the cab, it looks to me to possibly be standard gauge. Since we don't have any dimensions though, I will just make things in proportion to the drawing

We had a workshop on Saturday and I brought some drawings to have Henner and Dennis look at the boiler design. All three of us had different ideas on how to do it, so I decided that mine would be the first I would try
Here is the sketch I came up with

So the idea is to have a conventional design boiler with a smokebox but rather than having the stack at the top of the smokebox, route the exhaust back to the rear of the boiler and have it come out there. The exhaust pipe will have a hole directed at the return stack to aid the draft.

Here is a drawing of the side view

I want to make this a simple project so I will be using Ruby valves and scratch built cylinders. The front drawing is the final one I came up with. Note how short the cylinders are and how long the bottom covers are. This is to make them sort of semi-crossheads. Because of the short connecting (drive) rods, I am afraid I will come up with piston rod bushing wear without some sort of crosshead support.

So Monday morning I started on the boiler

I first squared up a piece of 2-1/2" copper pipe on the disk sander by clamping a 2x4 to the table

I rotate the pipe while sanding it

I then cut it on the band saw by rotating it in the reverse direction of the blade travel. It usually takes four or five revolutions to cut through and the cut is perfectly square.

The rest of the boiler making is similar to my prior projects except for the internal exhaust pipe. This fixture is called a picture framing jig. You can see how it is put together. By using the left and right sides for each cut, you always get a 90 degree joint as if one side is 44 degrees, the other will be 46 degrees

The elbow is now silver soldered together.

The boiler was soldered together and pickled overnight and I cleaned it up this morning. Here it is with the pieces for the smoke box.

The smokebox hinges and number plate are installed.

Last edited by bille1906; 04-16-2014 at 08:34 PM.
bille1906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did you decide on a scale? It looked like you moved the wheels in - to make the resulting model larger?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think my drawing is in scale to the photo, although, the photo is taken at a bias so I had to account for the perspective changes when I measured it up. My drawing doesn't show the crankshaft between the drivers which may be causing it to look off.
I have no idea what scale it is as I don't even have one original dimension to start with.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you were to guesstimate the height of the cab based on other small engines, you might be able to work from there on other dimensions.
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Very cool little locomotive.

It don't know if is helpful but you might want to check this page out. It is translated from Japanese. http://translate.google.com/translat...30%26bih%3D831
Belpaire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Amber
At this time the only important thing to me is that all of the components are in a scale relationship to each other.
Belpaire
Yes this is helpful. This is more of a freelance model vs a reproduction of the original but how he approached the engine mounting and gearing is interesting. I noted he had some binding with the crank and drive wheels which is my main concern with the crank setup.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

The prototype has what appears to be a marine-style return-flue "Scotch" boiler. The smokebox is in the cab, above the firebox door. There wouldn't be a door on the front end, except for maybe a small inspection hatch (steam-tight of course, since the forward end of the boiler is part of the pressure vessel). From that end, the locomotive would likely have resembled a fireless engine.

Anyway, great work as always, I'm looking forward to watching this one progress.
rwjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Bill,
Another neat project. You make it look so easy...You need to write a book with some of your techniques, templates, jigs,etc...Of course, you're having too much fun to do that for the beginners in that phase of the hobby, like me.. I appreciate your posts.

Thanks!
Sam
boilingwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, it could have been a variation of the Scotch boiler. Can't see the front of it to see if there is a door
Old 04-18-2014, 02:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Bill, I think the general consensus is that the single truck Heisler was not standard gauge but 3' gauge instead, in which case it should be 1:20.3 scale. I'm not sure where that information comes from but I have heard people insist that's what gauge it was in previous discussions. If it were my project that is probably the scale I would choose, but I am biased because all of my G gauge equipment is 1:20.3

Great choice for a build BTW.

Regards,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in