Troubleshooting Aristo Mikado - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Troubleshooting Aristo Mikado

Hi all,
I need some help troubleshooting my Aristo Mikado. I think it's a blocked fuel line, but let me lay out what I know. A little backstory: It's been in storage for the last 6-7 years as we moved, and had kids. Kids are now 4.5 (girl) and 2 (boy). and there's finally been some time to lay some track. BTW, the boy loves trains. Absolutely loves them. Warms my heart, lol. All I have is a loop, landscaping and more track to come later.
Anyway, I fired it up today. Everything seemed to check out OK. Distilled water, check. Steam oil, check. Battery in the remote, check. Fuel, check.
It fired up. Yay. Burning sounded a little rough, but I attributed that to years in storage. After a few minutes, a little smoke appeared around the front, but I remember that as normal. But soon the "roughness" appeared to peter out, and with a soft woosh...nothing. dang it, not enough fuel in the tender. I refilled it and attempted to relight, nothing. I can hear the fuel rushing in, and I can hear the igniter clicking away...but I'm guessing theres a blockage between the igniter and the tender. It sounds closer to the igniter.
Can anyone point me towards a good set of instructions on how to disassemble the Mikado (properly!) to try and troubleshoot it? Is this a common problem that's easily fixed by doing "X"?
Thanks!
NedsTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

start with checking the gas jet for blockage(take the jet out and blow some gas/or air in it,if this doesn't solve the problem,get your manual and take the shell of the time tender,on the gas tank you will see a round brass regulator,make sure there is no gas in the tank,cut the valve out and bridge the line with either soft soldering some k*s tubing or use a firm fuel line with two zipties on each side.any more ?feel free to ask
Manfred
lotsasteam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Lotsa, I'll try and blow the tubes out sometime this week.
The manual I have doesn't show how to disassemble the Mikado shell. I guess I'll just start taking screws out and see what happens.
NedsTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Be sure to blow the jet from the front, not the back. The jet is in the piece at the end of the hose from the tender. Bypassing the regulator can help also, you have to take the tender apart to do that. I used the cut and silicon tube and the zipties. No reason to take the shell off or disassemble the locomotive.
Jerry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in