Marklin live steam class 44 locomotive - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Marklin live steam class 44 locomotive

In case anyone is interested, this locomotive is listed on the LokShop web site http://www.modellbahn-markt.de/ for about $1700 with shipping to the US for about $25 extra (item MAR55004). Not a bad price for a well detailed, live steam 2 10 0 locomotive with RC and working lights. A set of 5 hopper cars for the locomotive is listed at about $825 (item MAR58358).
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Marklin live steam class 44 locomotive

That's quite a deal, as the german VAT is 19% and it gets knocked off if you ship outside the EU. Pre-VAT it's about 1345 Euro plus shipping, or (as Larry says) $1700. Wonder if you could make it into a UK 9F...

More (big) pictures at Ebay listing of Marklin 55004
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1125392672071.jpg (25.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just checked the eBay listing at 4:02 PM EST, and the listing has been ended due to "buy it now". Somebody got a deal!
Alex
shaysteam05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've noticed that there's little discussion of Marklin live steam on the boards. Personally, I love the appearance of several of the German prototypes and I agree that this offer looks to be a deal. I especially like the installed RC. However, with few people running this equipment in the states, I'm concerned about support. If anyone on the board operates Marklin live steam, I'd love to get your impression of or comments on their product. Thanks, Jon
Old 12-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just checked the eBay listing at 4:02 PM EST,

Alex,

I clicked my link and got the same as before - it doesn't seem to be an auction, just a "Buy-it-Now" deal at $2049.99. Oops - it just went away - maybe someone read this thread! The pics are still there if you scroll down. I think the seller was in Germany, so there was still the shipping problem. I like the $1,700 myself.

Incidentally, if you google 'marklin 55004' you get some very interesting info. Marklin's own store says it is in stock, but at a much higher price. I found offers all over the map, up to $5500.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Note: the locomotive can be purchased anytime from LokShop (web site http://www.modellbahn-markt.de/). This is not the E-bay site, and the regular store price from LokShop is lower.
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

evnein',/mornin', Pete.

This loco has a few things going for it - it is pretty darn big, even for a Euro loco - MUCH bigger especially in height, than the same scale British 9F. Unlike the 9F, the Class 44 is a three-cylinder loco with a big sticky-out third cylinder tail rod overhanging the buffer beam/pilot, although the third cylinder is a dummy.

It has an eight-wheeled tender, so you would also have to build a six-wheel BR-type tender - 'Mr Aster' does not sell tenders for the 9F as individual items.

The steamy bits are made by Regner, just like the S3/6 (I have a green S3/6, and so does Rod Blakeman), and it should, like the S3/6, be a mad hauler.

Aster made one a few years back, THEY haul mountains.

As for faking a 9F out of one, you might fool a model train fan from Botswana or Mars, but you wouldn't fool anybody else... It looks FAR too German to me to be anything else. The French had a few in green without the smoke deflectors....but that just looks, well, like a German locomotive painted shiney green - the railroad equivalent of a British racing green Ferrari.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
tacfoley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

As for faking a 9F out of one

Not sure half my US pals here would know it wasn't a 9F if I painted it green... So how about a Chinese QJ 2-10-2 ?

http://www.nordling.nu/schaefer/qjde...rawingside.gif
Old 12-06-2008, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Posted By Pete Thornton on 12/06/2008 3:44 PM
As for faking a 9F out of one

Not sure half my US pals here would know it wasn't a 9F if I painted it green... So how about a Chinese QJ 2-10-2 ?

http://www.nordling.nu/schaefer/qjde...rawingside.gif

It's about 3/4 the size of a Q2....that is BIG.

What's wrong with it being a BR44?

tac
www.vgrs.orgc
tacfoley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

What's wrong with it being a BR44?
Because Pete and I have a mutual friend that owns a large scale P-51D which would love to get that thing in it's gun sights.....that's why.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in