So, after three attempts, I have finally created my custom "Expanding Foam & Duct Tape" carrying case. The box for the tender was fine, and I see no problem getting that to DH. I didn't feel like wrapping my S-12 to the original holder with miles of glass tape. My thought was to make a padded cocoon for the loco, and pack it in a small box as well.
I first wrapped the S-12 with paper towels and medical tape. The thought here was to add a lil padding for the drive gear while protecting the loco from a possible foam bath. The 1st attempt was to place the engine in a plastic bag, then place it in a box lined with a smaller plastic bag. I then filled the space between them with spray foam. I was too impatient and didn't allow enough time to dry between applications. 2nd try was more of the same.
The third time is a charm they say. I wrapped the loco again tightly, and then slowly built up layers of foam. After a few days I had a solid block of foam surrounding my steam engine. Trust me when I say, I spent a few moments offering my energy to the universe. Please allow "Sparkie" to emerge intact. So I took my trusty steak knife and split the pod. Out popped my sweet pea!!!
After a bit of trimming the case for couplers and the small detail pipes, I was ready to turn it into a case. I got my trusty duct tape and wrapped the edges, outside, and made a double layer hinge on the bottom, all from duct tape. Here is the outcome.
Close up of loco in case
Casper approves the final product
Casper says its time to seal her up and get her ready for DH
All closed up, ready to be sealed
First sealed with a small 2" piece of tape, then wrapped all the way around
Note the small tab, used to open the case at DH
Finally, a duct tape handle to pull my loco out of the shipping box and carry her to the grand hall at DH. I can't wait to open her up again.
Thank you for taking the time to enjoy my work. If any one has questions, please ask. See some of you next month!!!!