G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Custom S-12 Travel Case

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rkapuaala 
#1 ·
So, after three attempts, I have finally created my custom "Expanding Foam & Duct Tape" carrying case. The box for the tender was fine, and I see no problem getting that to DH. I didn't feel like wrapping my S-12 to the original holder with miles of glass tape. My thought was to make a padded cocoon for the loco, and pack it in a small box as well.

I first wrapped the S-12 with paper towels and medical tape. The thought here was to add a lil padding for the drive gear while protecting the loco from a possible foam bath. The 1st attempt was to place the engine in a plastic bag, then place it in a box lined with a smaller plastic bag. I then filled the space between them with spray foam. I was too impatient and didn't allow enough time to dry between applications. 2nd try was more of the same.

The third time is a charm they say. I wrapped the loco again tightly, and then slowly built up layers of foam. After a few days I had a solid block of foam surrounding my steam engine. Trust me when I say, I spent a few moments offering my energy to the universe. Please allow "Sparkie" to emerge intact. So I took my trusty steak knife and split the pod. Out popped my sweet pea!!!

After a bit of trimming the case for couplers and the small detail pipes, I was ready to turn it into a case. I got my trusty duct tape and wrapped the edges, outside, and made a double layer hinge on the bottom, all from duct tape. Here is the outcome.

Close up of loco in case

Casper approves the final product

Casper says its time to seal her up and get her ready for DH

All closed up, ready to be sealed

First sealed with a small 2" piece of tape, then wrapped all the way around

Note the small tab, used to open the case at DH

Finally, a duct tape handle to pull my loco out of the shipping box and carry her to the grand hall at DH. I can't wait to open her up again.

Thank you for taking the time to enjoy my work. If any one has questions, please ask. See some of you next month!!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
and to anyone else thinking of doing a similar packaging system.
I use a lot of product from a company called Smooth-On.
Not that I have used it myself, but have seen it demonstrated, they have both hard and soft 'foam' products.
These are a two part expanding foam, and they have various 'strengths'.
I think that it sets up very quickly, and may work better than the spray foam, but of course you will not find it at your local home store.
Also, it may work too well and be more uncontrollable to know how much to mix up etc.!
Anyway, just a thought.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

#6 ·
Yup, gotta love the life saving foam. Thank you for commenting, I have watched some of your creations come to (how do I spell fruition again?)

Also, please let me know if you ever break into 1:32 scale folk, My caboose is lonely.

p.s., currently 8 inches of fresh snow on Cape Cod.

#7 ·
Only 8" Kent? Here's the view out my back door this morning:

From Misc steam There's an A-frame truss bridge in there somewhere.

The poor dog was not impressed.
From Misc steam As of 1630 hours it's still snowing here. Supposed to keep snowing right into the next storm tomorrow.

BTW, have fun at Diamondhead. My daughter's birthday is in early January, so I'll be here and not there.

#8 ·
Oops. Just looked at that last photo again. Rest assured the dog is turning around, not doing what it looks like. She never let her tail down the whole time she was outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.