Tank Engine #3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2018, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tank Engine #3

I've had my mini lathe for about 15 or 16 years but it wasn't until recently that I finally got a mill. As such, this is intended to be a "getting to know you" project for the mill. The lathe also has received numerous upgrades over the past year so it was high time to test it out. Also, I wanted to become more familiar with the basics of locomotive scratch building. Though there are plenty of locomotive plans out there that are built around oscillating cylinder engines, this is not what I wanted to do. My own view is that the scope of work concerning oscillating engines is very limited and does not lend itself to any higher knowledge of how other, more prototypical styles of locomotive engines work, namely slide valve and piston valve types. I started doing as much research as I could on the subject while simultaneously searching for a set of plans. Something serious but manageable for a beginner to locomotive building.

The design I am building is ostensibly a Dacre, a project locomotive originally proposed by Peter Jones. Though I was unable to find original Peter Jones plans, I've gathered that the initial design was less of a scratch build than an exercise in assembly and integration using as many off the shelf parts as possible, mostly Roundhouse. My own build is based on the work of Erik-Jan Stroetinga whose AutoCAD drawing I found here (http://www.john-tom.com/html/SteamPlans3.html). All that is required to open the file is a DWG viewing program, which are available free online. That said, in order to better understand the locomotive and to document the changes I wanted to make, I decided to produce my own set of plans which I will share freely when they are more ready.

I will be showing the build from the beginning, with as much detail as is appropriate. The first parts will show everything in excruciating detail but towards the end I will be skipping over steps that are easily assumed. This first post however, is towards the end of the chassis build. Enjoy!

Last edited by steamermeister; 05-23-2018 at 09:37 PM.
steamermeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Old 05-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Congratulations
It runs wonderfully in both directions

Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

A very nice start. You are showing great machining skills. I see that you are using slip eccentric valve gear. My only mostly scratch build is a Mason Bogie which I posted on MLS. I think the details are on the archives. I will be looking forward to watching your progress.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you, the valve timing still needs work. This video was shot yesterday after setting the valve events. Currently only the chassis has a complete design. Not that I haven't given thought to the rest of it.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Very nice. Also liking your choice of beverage, I trust it assisted during any musing moments you had..

Cheers
Neil

Tuahiwi Valley Lumber 2008 - 2012 (RIP)

Tuahiwi, New Zealand
wigginsn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, a victory beer was in order. Until the air test it was difficult to know whether I was making functional parts, or just converting raw stock to scrap metal.

I've made my drawings available via this link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...SM?usp=sharing
There is still more I want to add to the chassis drawing but the stuff that is there is complete and correct, or at least as correct as anything self checked can be. In any case, access to the drawings will make my photos easier to follow.

Last edited by steamermeister; 05-24-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Old 05-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Your new mill looks like the one I just purchased with just a few things different
What brand is it?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

My mill is a Precision Matthews PM-25MV. At work we have a Grizzly G0759. Both mills are excellent and are probably the best hobby class milling machines available. While shopping, I saw this video which swayed me towards the Precision Matthews.
Hindsight being 20/20 neither is perfect and the video left out a number of faults with the PM, although a compelling argument could be made that the PM is technically better. For my part, I had to make a number of superficial modifications to make the PM more user friendly and my own opinion is that the perfect mill would be a mix of both machines. Doom and gloom aside, you can't go wrong with either one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in