Building the Skookum in 1/32 - Page 9 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2020, 12:23 PM   #81 (permalink)

Here is the number plate with the two tone paint job

The base for the hand pump needs to be soldered on. As the tender is soft soldered, it is important to keep the heat concentrated on the plate and surrounding area and apply just enough heat to melt the solder snippets around the plate so that the solder joints at the bottom of the tender don't melt.

The top frame is secured with spring clamps made from close hanger wire and then strips of 1/32" staybrite are laid in the joints and soldered in place.

The top plates are fitted in. The fuel tanks are in the background and a hand pump in the front.

Here is a closeup photo of the hand pump

I want the water hatch, which is also the knob for the fuel valve, to have a handle matching the Ozark Miniatures oil hatch. I tried to bend a couple of .047" pieces of brass rod but I couldn't get the bends small enough so I made this jig for bending them.

And here is the finished knob

Finally, here is what the final look will be. I am in the process of painting the tender and parts today and should be doing the decals and clear coat tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 07:26 PM   #82 (permalink)

I finished the tenders and am now in the middle of making the carrying cases.
Here is the coal version in front with the oil burner behind in in the lower portion of the case with the full case in the background.

]

There is one coal and two oil tenders. Here is the coal tender.

On the oil burners, the oil hatch is from Ozark Miniatures. The round water hatch is the gas valve knob which I made to match the look of the oil hatch.

The coal burner is RC so the water section is smaller than the non RC units so the hand pump is mounted transversely. The tube on the rt side holds the pump handle

And here is the non RC version.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:44 AM   #83 (permalink)

Fantastic model, Bill!

Here's a picture of the full size prototype:

https://i.imgur.com/fcoMEAF.jpg

Edit: converted very large photo to a simple link. Click the link to view the photo. Mod.
sakumar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #84 (permalink)

Location: Jason V. Original member 2008 Deadwood Mountain Line Fort Wayne, IN

Beautiful! They turned out absolutely beautiful.

Jason
Old 05-03-2020, 11:33 PM   #85 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Wow, Bill They look great........
Stan Cedarleaf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #86 (permalink)

On the photo Sacumar posted, I noticed a pump on the tender I hadn't seen before.
I went through the book I have and finally found this photo of the oil tank with the pump on it.
Due to my limited knowledge of logging engines, I was unaware that this pump was used to pump water from streams into the tender.
Because this was part of the story, I decided to do my best to duplicate it.
Here is the photo

You may notice that the cylinder covers are bigger than the cylinders and one cover is made for both cylinders thus converting two four bolt covers to one seven bolt cover.
To make this, I parted off slices of 1/4" rod and then on the mill drilled four bolt holes, On the 1" belt sander, I sanded down to one hole on each piece and silver soldered them together and later drilled out the center hole.

The water pump body was cut from 3/8" square stock. The steam cylinders were made by turning 1/4" rod down to .200" and then milling one side of each piece by .020" They were then silver soldered together. The water body tops were cut from 1/32" sheet stock and sanded to shape.

The valve body for the steam cylinders was cut from 1/4" square stock and drilled out to .032" at .050" in from all sides. a base was cut from 1/32" sheet and rods and piping was cut from .062" and .047" stock

1/32" rivets are set in place with loctite as well as the inlet and outlet water spigots.

It is then painted and set in place on the tender. The paint was fresh and it will tone down in a day or two. It is semi gloss

Old 05-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #87 (permalink)

Nice looking looking pump. I love interesting details like that. Question: Why does this thread come out 4 times wider than the page?
Old 05-06-2020, 08:14 PM   #88 (permalink)

Bill;

I think I may have an answer for you. Three posts above yours there is a photo of the prototype in a very large format. Until the entire photo loads (depending on the speed of your web service) , the page will be four times wider. Once the photo has loaded, the page will jump back to a reasonable size. Aren't computers fun?

Best, David Meashey
Dave Meashey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #89 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by placitassteam View Post
Question: Why does this thread come out 4 times wider than the page?
I fixed this by converting the very large photo to a simple link. On my system, the auto-resizer didn't work on this photo, and I ended up with the same result you got Winn.
Dwight Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #90 (permalink)

Great job, Bill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in