Building the Skookum in 1/32 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Building the Skookum in 1/32

Skookum is the world’s only operating 2-4-4-2. Skookum returned to operating service this year after a 15-year overhaul at the Oregon railroad on the former Southern Pacific Tillamook Branch. The 1909 locomotive has an amazing story that starts with its rejection by a Tennessee logging railroad, its acceptance in the Pacific Northwest, and its tragic derailment that left it abandoned in the woods. Enthusiasts saved the locomotive and over more than 60 years moved it to safety and eventual restoration. Here is a photo of the “Skookum” unloading logs at a mill pond in 1953.

And after the derailment and abandonment.

And the current restored version now running at Niles Canyon Railroad in California

Text and photo found on the web

This is a small but complex loco. It is a true Mallett with compound cylinders. I will be building this in similar fashion to my N&W Y6 builds but will be showing more of the machining and metal working procedures. I will be making three locomotives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

This should be great, looking forward to seeing it come together!
fsts2k is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know someone who has made a skookum out of 2 accucraft ruby cylinders and the rest was custom built. interested to see how yours turns out
Poys718 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Bill, You have to come to Diamondhead, All of ous Midwestern and East costers want to Meet You
Old 11-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Bob
Maybe some day.
Or, You can come to Sacramento. The meet and accommodations are great and lots of track time available.

My build will be a little different from the Ruby one as having the engine nearby, I should be able to get a real close scale model with the correct size spoke wheels and Walschearts valve gear along with the different size low and high pressure cylinders.

Searching the web, I found this pretty good spec drawing. I also have a large blue print of just the engine. Neither was absolutely correct but good enough to start my plans

From this drawing, I drew out the frame rails and gave them to Dennis to cut out on the CNC mill.
This can be done without CNC as I did before Dennis converted his mill but this makes things more accurate.

The wheels come from Walsall and you can get them in rough castings or finished and quartered on the axle shaft. I prefer to get the bare castings and machine them myself
Below, the rough castings are on the rt and on the left are wheels which are ready for the tread profile which will be done with a plunge tool to be shown later.

I start by mounting the wheel in the outside jaws of the three jaw chuck and drilling the axle hole out to 3/16"

I then ream it to 5 mm

It is then mounted on the arbor and the tread width is cut to 6 mm wide

Still on the arbor the tread detail is roughed out leaving it .010" oversize for profiling.

finally the hub is turned to .250"

The pilot and pony wheels are the same and are turned in the same manor

So. here is what I have so far, the frame rails and wheels for three engines.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for posting about the details of wheel profiling. I have seen it described on the Mark Woods Wheels website but if I recall correctly, it shows a larger, more rigid lathe at work. I am very interested in how you manage a form tool on a mini-lathe for the final profile.

If nothing else, I did not know about Walsall. At least I will be able to purchase wheels pre-machined.
steamermeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Unfortunately, I am not able to do the plunge profile cut on my lathe as it is not ridged enough.
I am headed down to my friend Dennis Mead's house this morning to do it on his full size lathe
Old 11-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have a 20 year old skookum built by one of the pioneers in our hobby

in 1:20.3
Jim Overland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bille1906 View Post
Unfortunately, I am not able to do the plunge profile cut on my lathe as it is not ridged enough.
I am headed down to my friend Dennis Mead's house this morning to do it on his full size lathe
That is what I had guessed. I am considering a larger machine for just that purpose. Do you do the form tool yourself? Mark Woods has form tools for sale. Given the complexity of the shape I assume they must be wire EDM'd.
steamermeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow! I will look forward to following this thread. I wish you the best of luck with regard to this complicated scratch build. Will you be finished by SS2020?
Best regards,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in