Modifications to an old Aster - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Modifications to an old Aster

I purchased a French 232TC Aster that was cheap as it was overpainted in grey with a brush, had some parts missing that I can make but it has never been run. As this model has a small single fill smithies boiler where water top up is by a trackside hand pump I decided to put in working water side tanks, axle pump and hand pump as I needed to strip it right down.
The images attached shows what the loco looked like when I got it ( better in the photo than it really was) and then onto the axle pump and plumbing that I fitted. The axle pump eccentric is operated by a scotch yoke (thanks for the idea Bill I learn a lot from your loco build postings) with a ball bearing on the eccentric (another of Bill's ideas here). I made a new cross member to hold the axle pump that I purchased ready made and fitted the plumbing back to the cab where the water by pass valve is and boiler clack valve. The original dummy side tanks slip outside and over the new water tanks with the main one extending into the cab for easy filling.
It's a tight fit in the cab as you can see but everything fits in well and I use the pump handle with cutouts on the end to operate the by pass valve as I found fingers wouldn't fit.
Along the way i added more roof detail and made the distinctively French curved sided coal bunker extension that was not on the original model then repainted the model in the original Aster green. These loco's were generally all black but I like the SNCF green that Aster applied.
I now have a loco that runs for longer without stopping to pump up for water but I found the original small Meths tank means I still do have to top that up often, but that's OK by me.
Hope this gives others incentive to do the same to early Aster models with a single fill boiler
Russell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP2882.jpg (158.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3101.jpg (105.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3110.jpg (110.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3246.jpg (118.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3137.jpg (97.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3134.jpg (104.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3250_NEW.jpg (112.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP3094.jpg (132.7 KB, 76 views)
ferroequinologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Very nice, Russell.

Steve Shyvers
Steve Shyvers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Very nice job fitting the axle pump, tanks, hand pump and related plumbing...Great craftsmanship!
clifforddward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 02:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Lovely job !
AuSteam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great job - where did you get the Aster SNCF green - I'm looking for paint for another Aster french locomotive.
zephyra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and Zephra the paint was obtained by taking my Aster 141R, another French loco in green, down to my local automotive paint supply where he has a sort of light source spectrograph thingy (don't ask me how it works) that gives him the paint "recipe" to mix it and then maybe adjust colour from there. He can supply me paint in half litre tins or in a spray can and I have used both. This service isn't common here in Australia but the equipment to analyse colour and to put into spray cans I believe is American supplied so someone will have this service where you are.
The paint is automotive acrylic and needs to be low temp baked (ask paint supply man) for use on boilers but on coaches and other non heat models it's good applied without baking. If airbrushing it needs to be well mixed and thinned down quite a bit for my little airbrush, about 2/3 thinners (often more) to 1/3 paint. Using his pre mixed spray cans it applies very well and this is what I generally use especially for the bigger surfaces on say a carriage.
This paint man is now used to me bringing in loco's and rollingstock for a paint match and asks me about my hobby all the time and fascinated by the steam loco's.
Russell
Old 11-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hallo Mr. Russell,
this is very informative thread for me, becaus i also think about changing my JNR-loco, is similar to the BR 78..
greetings derPeter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JNR C-11.jpg (265.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg pr-381.jpg (35.8 KB, 24 views)
derPeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Nice looking loco!
fsts2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hello der Peter, I haven't seen one of those loco's but it looks like you can do a conversion like I did with working side tanks. The axle pump and the hand pump I purchased ready made from an ebay site called Microcosm from China that are reasonably priced and work well.
One thing I have found is that even though I have two side tanks there is not much water in them so while I am topping up the fuel (with feed closed of course!) I put in water as well. Unlike a big water tank in a tender it needs topping up but as I have to do fuel as well it's no problem and I have had this loco in steam for nearly an hour once I get used it.
Also I put in two baffles to each water tank stop water sloshing back and forth as that can be a problem where water spill could wet the fuel wicks.
Russell
Old 11-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hallo again,
i found this item at the china-site, is this the pump you used?
Thank you for info and
greetings derPeter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg microcosm-M5 boiler-pump.jpg (49.7 KB, 29 views)
derPeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in