It is a Davenport - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default It is a Davenport

An interesting, long-awaited announcement came from Roundhouse today: http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/davenport.htm
Best wishes from Quedlinburg, Zubi
zubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Zubi;

A delightful little live steamer. I have to confess that when I saw Davenport, my mind first thought it would be a battery version of the Bachmann Davenport shown below,

Best wishes, David Meashey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Davenport01.JPG (202.5 KB, 148 views)
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Zubi. As usual you get the scoop on things being early in teme time zone.

Davenport #1597 preserved by Illawarra Light Railway Museum
The Illawarra Light Railway Museum operates a mainline 2 ft (610 mm) narrow gauge light railway, a miniature 7 1⁄4 in (184 mm) gauge railway, and a museum located near Albion Park Rail near Wollongong, south of Sydney, New South Wales

Just a few modification for an awesome locomotive. I'm pretty sure Roadhouse will offer it in any Roundhouse color.

From Wikipedia, (the free encyclopedia)
The Davenport Locomotive Works, of Davenport, Iowa, USA was formed as the W W Whitehead Company in 1901. In 1902 the company commenced building light locomotives. The Company was renamed the Davenport Locomotive Works in 1904.[2]

In late 1930 Davenport was licensed to assemble and market R G LeTourneau Inc products under the Davenport-LeTourneau brand. The agreement is believed to have ended in 1935 when LeTourneau’s moved to Peoria, Illinois. Davenport also sold Davenport-Winchell three-wheel roller conversions of industrial wheel tractors, Davenport-Frink snow plows which were built in license from Frink Sno-Plows Inc and Reynolds patented Mov-Mor rotary scrapers.

In 1933 the company was again restructured and renamed the Davenport-Besler Corporation which continued in business until 1956. William George Besler was a Director at the time of the restructuring. The company acquired the locomotive business of H. K. Porter, Inc in 1950 and from then on produced Porter designs as well as its own.

For additional information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davenp...comotive_Works
Chris Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

I like it, anybody seen when RH expects to deliver them this year?
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rbednarik

Mike,

I believe word was Q3 2020, so September at earliest, but Roundhouse should be able to give a firm date on order.
SA #1361

Last edited by rbednarik; 01-01-2020 at 02:36 PM.
rbednarik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Works for me! I changed my pre order with RH from an engine due in Dec 2020 to the Davenport. It will fit in better with the Climax and the Pearse Switcher. Thanks for posting Ryan. Mike
SA#16
Old 01-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rouhdhouse certainly searches far and wide for outside-frame locomotives so they can sell a 45mm and a 32mm version without many changes - just a wider frame.
Personally, I like to see the spoked wheels go around and around, and the valve gear to thrash up and down. My first RH loco was an Argyll as that had spoked wheels despite being outside frame. The only one I have currently is a W&L "Countess" called Edward or Eddie for short. Despite the outside frames it has lots of walschaerts valve gear thrashing up and down. (Reminds me of the B&O Mud-diggers.)
Maybe when they run out of outside-frame prototypes we'll see a proper loco with visible wheels.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

The 2021 small english engine will have wheels outside the frame. It would have nicer to have inside frames on the Davenport, but still neat looking. Yes, RH has always looked far and wide to keep the frames outside the drivers to make the models easily changed between 32mm and 45mm to maximize sales and minimize retooling requirements. Just like using standardized cyilnders and the same inside valve gear as Lilla has. Keeps production costs down and not cutting corners by using either fixed valve gear with piston valve reversing block ala Accucrafts forth coming large Hunslet in 16mm or slip eccentric. Mike
SA#16
Old 01-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

...and as they say in the infomercials, "But wait! There's more..." RH is planning to produce a Darjeeling 4-6-2 in 2022, outside frames, outside valve gear. I, for one, like to see the counterweights and valve motion go round and round. The loco will be nearly identical in size -- only a scale foot shorter -- than the SR&RL 24 that Roundhouse makes. Gotta start saving my pennies now...
SA #115
JoelB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Its great that RH gave us their plans for a couple years out to allow folks to save up for that model they want. Now the anxious wait for September of this year when my new engine will be ready. Mike
SA#16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in