National Summer Steam Up, 2021 and beyond. - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default National Summer Steam Up, 2021 and beyond.

Good news. We found a new home for the National Summer Steam Up starting in 2021. The new home is at the Lodi Grape Festival facility in Lodi CA. Jim and Craig went for a look and say it is a good situation. The Grape Festival folks are happy to support us. We signed a five year deal for the following dates:

July 14-18, 2021
July 13-17, 2022
July 12-16, 2023
July 10-14, 2024
July 9-13, 2025

This year's steam up is at the McClellan Conference facility, same as before. The dates are July 8-12, 2020. Our website is updated and the online registration is running. Visit us at www.steam-events.org to register.

Thanks, your National Summer Steam Up planning crew.
SA #13

xo18thfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

This is good news that this popular mid-summer event will survive on into the future!
I only know Lodi, CA by the title of the Creedence Clearwater Revival's Country & Western single, from the way-back-time of the 70's or maybe the 80's but I know nothing of this wide spot in the road's infrastructure in the present age.
So what's the story on overnight lodgings, eateries, manly watering holes and does one fly into Stockton, CA or is UBERing 50 miles from Sacramento International part of one's plans to attend?
To many the cost of 'doing business' is of prime importance and so what are the event's tariffs to better estimate the total cost of one's long weekend sojurn?
Me thinks that the nightly summer river breezes that cool Sacramento by way of the Sacramento River Straights and such are not a player in the greater Stockton/Lodi complex; could be wrong.
All in all, Congratulations to the Steam Events team that pulled this rabbit out of the hat!!
Old 01-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome
I assume when the time comes we will be able to work a deal with a nearby hotel for our group.
It is also not far from SF, SJ & Oakland

Old 01-23-2020, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Bob, I just took a look at the grape festival site -- there appear to be both inside & outside facilities. Assuming we'll be inside, I just wanted to check -- will there be air conditioning?

Just remembering the Great Aircraft Hangar Fiasco of several years ago!
Old 01-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think I lost 10 pounds that week
Old 01-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Woolard View Post
Bob, I just took a look at the grape festival site -- there appear to be both inside & outside facilities. Assuming we'll be inside, I just wanted to check -- will there be air conditioning?

Just remembering the Great Aircraft Hangar Fiasco of several years ago!

Take a look at their website and get all your questions answered.

https://www.grapefestival.com/

Chris Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

... Duplicate post
Old 01-28-2020, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Chris,

Actually, the Lodi Grape Festival website raises questions rather than answers them. Specifically:

#1 The largest building listed for rent at the Festival site is 11,200 sq ft. That's less that one-half the area of the current McClellan building (23,600 sq ft). So does that mean fewer tracks? Or multiple buildings? How about a Dealer Room or technical session room?

#2. None of the buildings listed for rent are claimed to be air-conditioned. Lodi is just a hot as Sacramento in July.

However, future attendees should be aware that Lodi is the home of and first location of A&W Root Beer drive-ins. See:

https://californiathroughmylens.com/aw-root-beer-lodi

They sponsor a cruise-in for hot-rods every Thursday evening which may be entertaining for those attendees "of a certain age", such as me! They still have "Car Hops" serving the food to attendees parked in their cars!
Jeff Williams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2020, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was informed that the new venue is only 20k sqft. The big difference is there is no dealer or clinic room, that is still to be figured out where and how it fits in. The layouts will be much closer and tighter. I wonder more about all the table space we had. There had to be 200' of tables spread out.

Either way it was a difficult choice for those guys. To stay meant a fee of 200.00 a person and many just were not open to paying double. As there is no hotel on site and the closest is over a mile away that will be a change for many including myself.

Jason Kovac
Hazlet, NJ
SA# 79
http://www.thetraindepartment.com Your source for Regner, Roundhouse, Accucraft and live steam accessories
Kovacjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Williams View Post
Chris,

Actually, the Lodi Grape Festival website raises questions rather than answers them. Specifically:

#1 The largest building listed for rent at the Festival site is 11,200 sq ft. That's less that one-half the area of the current McClellan building (23,600 sq ft). So does that mean fewer tracks? Or multiple buildings? How about a Dealer Room or technical session room?

#2. None of the buildings listed for rent are claimed to be air-conditioned. Lodi is just a hot as Sacramento in July.

However, future attendees should be aware that Lodi is the home of and first location of A&W Root Beer drive-ins. See:

https://californiathroughmylens.com/aw-root-beer-lodi

They sponsor a cruise-in for hot-rods every Thursday evening which may be entertaining for those attendees "of a certain age", such as me! They still have "Car Hops" serving the food to attendees parked in their cars!

It's all the CA Central Valley and it's only one thing in July, HOT!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in