Aster 231 A PLM - my first live steam loco - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2020, 05:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberto77 View Post

The loco run very well, but I noticed that it has a "hard point" (don't know how to call it): maybe it's connected to the quartering of the wheels or some setting to the valve timing...

I post 2 pics of it

cheers
Alberto
Alberto, looking at the pictures your middle driving wheels seem to be above the end ones. This looks like the coupling rods are not in a straight line. This could lead to tight spots when the wheels are turning.

Before you rip things apart have you tried pushing the engine along a piece of track. Or even a flat surface. This may help provide more information about whether there is a tight spot or not before any remedial work is done.

DougieL
dougiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Nice choice - the PLM 231A is a beautiful model.
Though I may be a bit biased

I have a full set of Assembly drawings if you haven't been able to source a set yet.

I've attached pics of the timing / rod settings for you.

I won't be able to scan them until I return from a work trip in a week's time, but let me know if you'd like anything more and I'll get them to you ASAP.

EDIT : I see Ryan's already on the job.
Always very helpful

PS : Here's my PLM 231A on her maiden track run @ 2m02s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0.jpg (208.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (214.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (197.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by AuSteam; 02-09-2020 at 09:34 AM.
AuSteam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to GaugeOneLines

[QUOTE=alberto77;1152002]David, do you know whether Roberto follows this forum? He lives quite far but maybe once we'll meet.

I very much doubt that Robbi is on this Forum, it's popularity has declined markedly over the years and is mostly narrow gauge. Robbi lives near Rome but there is the telephone and email. Have you talked to him yet? You are in Northern Italy and it might be the smart thing to do to get in touch with all the steamers in Switzerland, last time I checked there were about 120 members of The Gauge One Model Railway Association there......8 in Italy by the way.
Start networking!
Cheers
David M-K
Canada
GaugeOneLines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Dougiel,
I'm providing a rolling bench, in a while I should be ready to try it on a steady base.
AuSteam,
thanks as you see Ryan already provided me with the sheets.
David,
I'll try to contact Roberto, but as I understood he doesn't live so close to Rome ))

On some sites I've read that minimum radius for the 231 is 3m, so 6m in diameter, not so small… does anyone have different information? My doubt stems from the fact that switches I see online usually don't have such large radius…
by the way: does anyone know if Marklin track is compatible with Peco track?
alberto77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #15 (permalink)

Hi everybody,
staying more at home can be fruitful for our hobby.
I have finished the box that now works also as a test bench (pic).
I also fitted the lacking parts for the R/C and now the loco works fine, with not a bad momentum.

Now I would improve it a bit but I'd also like to have some different point of view: I'd like to fit it with cylinder drain cocks.
I have made 4 automatic drain cocks myself (in the picture attached I still have to cut the long threaded part), but now I'm a bit afraid of drilling the cylinders, since I guess it'd be difficult to find new ones if I ruin them. Do you know whether someone sells them as spare parts?

Alberto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200229_170434.jpg (163.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20200229_170528.jpg (158.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20200316_082524.jpg (158.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ciao Alberto: I live in southern France (Ardèche) the people you want to reach for parts are the Twerenbold modellbau near Zurich, they imported Asters for years. Look them up on the web.However I doubt that they still have cylinders for the PLM pacific which came out 45 years ago!
I understand there is a gauge one live steam track somewhere near Milano. I would think that drilling the cylinders would be taking a risk, besides you don't really need drain cocks on slide valve engines. Ths Swiss make little blankets with a hole for the chimney which they use when starting a loco to absorbe the condensate. A very neat set up.
Well I hope to rebuild my layout in my new home soon and would welcome your visit. We are near Aubenas.
Best ,Simon
du-bousquetaire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

Bonjour Simon,
thanks for all the information, I'll try to see what I can do with them, and of course thanks for the invitation, it would be surely a big pleasure.
I've entered the live steam world just at the beginnig of this year eventually buying my first loco, so I still haven't tried to gather the event in Casarile, the place you probably thought about, but I'd really like to, after this virus plage will vanish away (hopefully...).
about the drain cocks, since the majority of gauge 1 locos don't have it, I guess it is not a must-have, but for the fine regulation of the loco, expecially in shunting, I reckon them useful.
What I would also like to do is fitting the loco with a flywheel, like the Slomo I saw online, but still have to see how. I'm still not so good in working on my lathe and milling machine...

Alberto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in