Aster 231 A PLM - my first live steam loco - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aster 231 A PLM - my first live steam loco

Hello everybody,
after long long time I eventually bought my first live steam loco, an Aster 231 A PLM.
Now I'm very very keen on learning how it is made and I'm looking foreward to making it run!
Does anyone have a copy of the Aster instructions?
thanks a lot for anybody who can help!

Alberto
alberto77 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to GaugeOneLines

Alberto, you don't say what part of the world you live in. Whatever you do, make sure you join a local group of KNOWLEDGEABLE Gauge 1 steamers. They will have a place to run your PLM and will teach you far more than any book of instructions can. This is a hobby that cannot really be learnt on-line.
David M-K
Ottawa Canada
GaugeOneLines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Alberto,

I do also have the PLM but do not have the manual. Do you already have a recent ASTER catalog? In these you will find a chapter Manual of Aster Model Live Steam Locomotives. This is very helpful. I noticed you are from Rome and I can imagine there is no live steam club there. And I disagree a bit with David, many things on this hobby can be learned without meeting other people in the hobby personally.
I would advise to use an air compressor (like used for spray painting, can be found in a hobbyshop) to find out with air whether your locomotive is in running condition before fire up.

Regards
Fred

Old 01-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rbednarik

Alberto,

Please contact me off list and I will forward you a pdf copy of the manual for PLM 231A

[email protected]
SA #1361
rbednarik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hello everybody!
David, sorry I didn't specify in my post I'm from Rome, actually I introduced myself quite a long time ago...
As Fred says, there are no live steam clubs here but, who knows, maybe I can start one...
I think that I's always the best thing when you can have a teacher "in person", but we can say that I "studied" a lot online (also here on this forum): that's a really big plus of the net! I have found interesting pages and videos.

Thanks a lot to rbednarik: I'll surely write you since you are so kind and helpful.

I bought my loco from a german guy who's been running it a lot (he also applied RC) and sent me some vids of explanation by Whatsapp, great chap!
By now I have only been driving 1:1 steam locomotives, now I'm going to "resize" my passion with this beautiful locomotive ;-)

Great to share this passions with all of you!
Alberto
Old 01-26-2020, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

ciao!
today, thanks to the good weather, I have lit up my loco for the first time.
yesterday I scratch-built a suction fan so today I had everything I needed; I just had some problems with lighting up the wicks, since it was difficut for the sun light to see the flames.

The loco run very well, but I noticed that it has a "hard point" (don't know how to call it): maybe it's connected to the quartering of the wheels or some setting to the valve timing...

I post 2 pics of it

cheers
Alberto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200126_113736.jpg (246.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20200126_114804.jpg (212.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to GaugeOneLines

[QUOTE=alberto77;1151550]Hello everybody!
David, sorry I didn't specify in my post I'm from Rome, actually I introduced myself quite a long time ago...
As Fred says, there are no live steam clubs here but, who knows, maybe I can start one...
I think that I's always the best thing when you can have a teacher "in person", but we can say that I "studied" a lot online (also here on this forum): that's a really big plus of the net! I have found interesting pages and videos.

Alberto,
Thanks for letting us know your location, I suggest you get in touch with Roberto Rivasi up in Belgiooiso who is fairly well connected in Gauge1 circles I believe. His phone is 03938 296 9338, he will probably be able to hook you up with active G1ers in Italy. Of course he is not too far from Switzerland where there are MANY Gauge1ers.
David M-K
Ottawa canada
GaugeOneLines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sometimes parts move after assembly, caused by use. I read in a German forum, about a piston hitting a cylinder cover. So he turned the inside of the cover in his lathe. Only to discover that the piston rod had unscrewed slightly out of the crosshead.

Resetting valve gear, in an engine that has run successfully previously, is a last resort. A view that I share with other people.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rbednarik

I second Pauli's opinion of the valve timing. Check the more obvious points first.

Piston rods unscrewing from a crosshead is a fault that can be hard to notice at first, as the engine will continue to compensate until the mechanical collision of the piston into the piston head stops the engine completely. The remedy is simple; screw the crosshead back in, preferably with the use of low-strength threadlocker on the piston rod threads to stop that happening again.

Also check both sides of the loco where the sticking point occurs as sometimes a rod can be bent slightly or a screw backed out just enough to foul the valve gear/drive motion. As the 231A is a sprung locomotive, also check the suspension for any loose or missing items.
SA #1361
rbednarik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2020, 05:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

David, do you know whether Roberto follows this forum? He lives quite far but maybe once we'll meet.
About the loco, well, still haven't run it on a proper track, when I do it I'll be able to understand how much this is visible. I was thinking to proceed in steps, disconnecting the piston rods to see if it is a problem of connecting rods. Then reconnecting just one piston rod a time, to verify how they work singularly, or happened something similar to what Pauli wrote.
Also for what Ryan wrote, I'm thinking on how I can misure the weight on each axle and wheel, since the loco looks "light" on the leading boogie (or maybe just my impression...), but I haven't a right scale for the purpose...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in