Building Locomotive boxes - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Dwight
Very clever design, eliminates my fishing my Shay directly upward out of it's tool box, off to the table saw!

Jerry
Naptowneng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Was thinking about turning this into some sort of carry case
Accucraft used to ship locos in a big metal frame with a wooden base and 2 handles on top, one at each corner. It was inside a box with 1" of foam around it.

I used it for years to carry my EBT Mikado around between steamups.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Hope this is helpful/inspirational.
It certainly is inspirational - a beautiful piece of work. (Must be nice to have so many locos that you need to stack them )

It is clear that carrying a loco to a meet is very different from shipping. The latter requires that you set up the locomotive in a fairly rigid frame inside a foam or similar enclosure, so the loco can decelerate as slowly as possible when it is dropped. It's the sudden stop when it hits the floor with no padding that causes breakages. Accucraft uses 1"+ foam on all sides of the packaged locomotive.

Not having a table saw or any workshop in my Florida condo, I made carrying 'boxes' out of a variety of scrap material so I can move my largest loco around. You can see the construction in this photo - the opposite of Dwight's lovely woodwork. The heaviest uses a pair of threaded rods inside tubes to support the top crosspieces and the handle, which is an old piece of closet rod, with a hose clamp to stop it moving. The crosspieces are poplar or similar hardwood.

The most important part is difficult to see. The sides are pairs of regular furring strips with one at the bottom screwed firmly in place and the upper one on a piano hinge with 1" foam on the inside to hold the object firmly in place. [I didn't measure it so the foam is compressed 1/8" - but its compressed.] There are a pair of cotter pins (you can just see the fishing line that stops them getting lost,) that are pushed into place to hold the sides in place. A coupler at the end is also used to keep the tender in the right spot. The design came from Chuck Inlow, one of the guys on LSC, where there was a discussion a few years ago.
https://www.largescalecentral.com/fo...ndation-please

The bottom is grooved plywood (that came with the loco,) and the far end has a drop-down ramp on hinges. The underside has 4 nylon feet that allow the base to clear the track when set down over it. Drop the ramp and roll the loco directly on to the track.

The lack of beauty isn't a problem, as the (attractive) locomotive is displayed on my shelf and the (ugly) carrying frame goes back in storage!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0591-henry-carry.jpg (165.3 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Pete Thornton; 02-02-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Pete Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
(Must be nice to have so many locos that you need to stack them )
LOL Pete. My total collection is only 7 locos. Once I retired, I no longer have the disposable income I once had (unless I start tapping my IRA, which I don't want to do yet). At any rate, I found having them stackable made it a lot easier when packing my car for the old Queen Mary trips.
Dwight Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

If you have the time and woodworking tools to do something a little fancier, here is a video of the box I make with grooves on the bottom and a roll off ramp

Old 02-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Lots of good ideas. Our local wooden kayak/small boat builder makes a toolbox kit:
https://www.clcboats.com/shop/produc...olbox-kit.html

The center partitions are a drop-in box, so we're wondering if it can be used as a locomotive carrier. (hopefully less expensive without the drop-in parts!) I asked for one for my birthday to experiment.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
A nice box appears to say there is something expensive in the box.
Well said.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Lots of good ideas and info.
Thank you all very much
Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in