Building Locomotive boxes - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2020, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Building Locomotive boxes

Hi,
I have used tool boxes for my locomotives since starting in live steam with good protection. But big tool boxes create a storage problem. So, I am going to build some proper sized wood boxes and have a good idea what I will build. (lots of ideas seen over the years)

My question is about padding. I will use a firm foam for the top and sides. However, I notice that most boxes just have a wood floor with saw cuts for the wheels. Would it be better to put a hard foam on the floor for more protection of the loco or is this not necessary?

Any steamers with just wood on the floor of their loco boxes, could you tell me if you had any damage to the wheels and chassis because of the bare wood floor?

Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Dan, I don't have any ideas but would appreciate you sharing what you build. I need to start building multiple boxes and am contemplating building a few carriers using aluminum angle iron.

Kevin
fsts2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2020, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Hi Dan,

If I’m making a box for shipment then I’ll pad the bottom. If it’s just for a convenient way to bring to steamups then I just cut the grooves on the base. If I need to ship, it’s a relatively easy matter to pad the bottom.

Sam
boilingwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Sam,
What you say makes sense to me.
Dan
Old 01-31-2020, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

David Leech is making loco carriers for sale again after a hiatus. David's carriers use aluminum angles, sheet and bars for the structural elements and have a removable clam-shell protective cover made from good quality wood. I consider them to be an excellent value for the price, considering the quality of design, materials and fabrication.

The loco wheels contact the aluminum angles directly on David's carriers - this hasn't been a problem for any of my locos. I wouldn't use this style of carrier for shipping a locomotive, though, since it wouldn't protect the locomotive sufficiently if it were turned on end or upside down while being shipped.

I own three of David's carriers and have found them to be sturdy, well made and reasonably light. They have the advantage of being both a protective carrier for storing locos and moving them in your vehicle and also, with the wooden clamshell removed, an efficient way to move locos between your workbench and the steamup track.

David's design limits the maximum locomotive width to about 5.25", with no height or length limitations. This means that they work for most 1:32 scale and many 1:22.5 locos, but only smaller 1:20.3 locos - a D&RGW C-16 fits but not a K-27 or larger.

I have three additional carriers on order from David, one for a 1:32 loco and two for 1:20.3 locos.

David's email address is: [email protected]
Jeff Williams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Senior Member

When I make my boxes I just cut grooves into the bottom for the wheel flanges. I also use 1 inch (app. 25mm) Velcro strips screwed to the base. Set the engine on the bottom, attach the 4 or 5 Velcro strips and it is ready to go.
I would not ship the engines in this fashion without padding the sides and top with some sort of soft foam or bubble wrap. For putting in the truck to go to a steamup they work well. Dropped one once and the only damage was a small bend in the front footplate. This was easily repaired by bending the metal back with my fingers.
Hope this helps.
SA #269
Ironton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Class Member

Default Weltyk's Train Box

Dan, Here is My T-1 Box , I cut the two tracks Groves in the bottom of this and all of My Boxes. And have never had a problem with them damaging the Engineshttps://forums.mylargescale.com/members/3206-bob-in-mich-albums-weltyk-s-train-boxes-picture17454-box.jpg
https://forums.mylargescale.com/memb...-50-01-utc.jpg
Bob in Michigan
Steaming in Michigan

Last edited by Bob in Mich; 02-01-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Bob in Mich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Class Member

CLICK HERE https://forums.mylargescale.com/memb...-50-01-utc.jpg

Dan, Here is My T-1 Box , I cut the two tracks Groves in the bottom of this and all of My Boxes. And have never had a problem with them damaging the Engineshttps://forums.mylargescale.com/members/3206-bob-in-mich-albums-weltyk-s-train-boxes-picture17454-box.jpg

Last edited by Bob in Mich; 02-01-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Bob in Mich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2020, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

I started making carrier boxes probably 20 years ago for my live steamers. This is the first one I ever made for my original Accucraft 2-truck Shay. It's a self-contained unit - nothing detaches, so nothing gets misplaced.

The bottom has the typical sawn grooves for the wheels to sit in. The sides and back are padded with 1/2" Ethafoam, while the front and top are padded with 1" Ethafoam.

The back is rigidly attached to the base, while the sides, front, and top are hinged. The top is slotted to receive and hold in place the rabbits on the top surface of the sides and front.

When all folded up and the front latch set, everything is held together and the loco is compressed within the Ethafoam.

Brass corner protectors, a brass handle, a brass compression latch, and rubber feet finishes it off.

One of the first times I used it was at the old Queen Mary Show. I had my stuff stacked on a hand truck with a bungee cord vertically around things to hold them in place. The Shay, within its case, was on top, and I was wheeling everything towards the outside elevator. When I got to the elevator, I let the hand truck tip forward to rest on its base. Apparently, I wasn't gentle enough in the tipping, because the Shay came loose and fell forward around three feet, landing upside-down and at an angle on the concrete. Luckily, it landed on one of the corner protectors.

I got it back on the hand truck and up into my room. I was petrified as I opened the case. The shay received absolutely no damage... not even a scratch. Nothing was bent and nothing was broken off. The corner protector on the case was mildly dinged up.

I made several more carriers like this, each custom sized for the loco it was to hold. For example, the carrier width was established to allow 1/8" compression into the foam on each side. The same went for the back. The front usually needed some custom foam arrangement to hold the pilot and the smokebox front, again allowing for 1/8" compression into the foam. The carrier's length was adjusted accordingly to achieve the desired compression. For rod locos with tenders, I made two carriers... one for the loco and one for the tender.

The only modifications I did to later carriers compared to the first one was to install 2 latches on the front instead of one (as a safety measure), and to employ folding handles instead of rigid ones, allowing the cases to be stacked.

Hope this is helpful/inspirational.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Case01.jpg (59.7 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Case02.jpg (51.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Case03.jpg (54.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Case04.jpg (23.0 KB, 153 views)
Dwight Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Location: Jason V. Original member 2008 Deadwood Mountain Line Fort Wayne, IN

Very nice! Was thinking about turning this into some sort of carry case. The Accucraft C-25 shipping box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in