Why No Dreyfuss Hudson in 1/32nd Scale? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2020, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why No Dreyfuss Hudson in 1/32nd Scale?

The subject of the streamlined (Henry Dreyfuss) NYC J3a Hudson came up recently, and I recall, when Accucraft tried to market their 1/29th version, they were roundly criticized for not doing it in 1/32nd. I thought they said they eventually would introduce one in 1/32nd.

As far as I can see it has never been produced as a gauge-1 1/32nd model. Someone did the streamlined Commodore Vanderbilt - I recall seeing one many moons ago. Aster did the J1c way back in the dark ages.

As the smooth-side passenger cars in NYC grey are still available from Accucraft as a complete 6-car set, it seems natural that there would be the "right" locomotive to pull them?

Somewhere in the 24 page thread started in 2013 about the 1/29th Hudson there's a reference to the proposed build list for 1/32nd locos. The 7th one is the N&W J611, and after that is listed the PRR M1. Wouldn't a Dreyfuss streamlined Hudson sell better than a PRR M1 ?

Or is it something to do with the fact that there is a PRR M1 still extant (PRR Museum) so it can be measured?

Old 02-19-2020, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rbednarik

Pete,

In 1/32, Fine Art Models did a Dreyfus J3a Hudson in electric. Aster produced the Commodore Vanderbilt around the electric J1e that they produced alongside the J1c.

Original plans are readily available for any of the NYC Hudson designs from the NYC historical society.

Since it does indeed make sense to produce; perhaps a registration of interest to the appropriate channels will see it appear on the production docket?

As a point of progress; I would be quite leery of basing what's next off a nearly 10 year old proposed build list.

Lastly...Money talks!
SA #1361

Last edited by rbednarik; 02-20-2020 at 10:14 AM.
rbednarik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 05:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

For those who like models of streamlined locomotives (including NYC Hudsons). I just finished compiling a book on that subject (but not only 1:32 versions). It can de read and/or downloaded for free: http://sncf231e.nl/steamliners/
Regards
Fred

Old 02-20-2020, 05:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Fred
Thankyou for sharing your excellent collection.

Harvey C.
hcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Awesome book
Thanks for sharing
Old 02-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rbednarik

Fred,

Excellent book and chronicle of the various scales and productions of the worlds streamlined locomotives.

As an aside; If you ever would like to update it, I have a few more Gauge 1 locomotives of the types you are featuring and would gladly share photos and documentation on the productions.
SA #1361
rbednarik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlub View Post
For those who like models of streamlined locomotives (including NYC Hudsons). I just finished compiling a book on that subject (but not only 1:32 versions). It can de read and/or downloaded for free: http://sncf231e.nl/steamliners/
Regards
Fred
What a great collection - I especially like the tinplate models - very evocative of what toys were once like and how they tried to capture the spirit of the times during which they were built.

I wish Aster had produced more streamliner models but my sense was that Hans in the USA was not a fan and preferred the big, brutal, everything on the outside prototypes. Similarly for Andrew in the UK. Maybe the thought was that the complexity of building a model with a lot of visible parts was more attractive to the buyer than having everything hidden under the casing.

I did finally get a Coronation Scot in 1:32 and also had Sunset Valley make me LMS streamlined coaches based on the set that went for exhibition in the USA. I also have Mallard/Silver Link with a set of streamlines LNER coaches so I am all set for a race to the north.
zephyra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
RP3

Hans did like regular mainline steam locomotives. But one thing he always had to keep in mind was that whatever he picked, he was going to have to buy from Aster and resell over 100 kits & factory-builts and to do that he had to pick models of locos that appealed the world over and not just in the USA. That “minor issue” alone would kill locomotives like the Dreyfus. Accucraft seems to be able to produce smaller profitable runs than Aster ever did, but Bing too is cautious in his selection of prototypes. Note that recently he has restricted his operation to producing models that can be sold out quickly - avoiding many of the past shelf queens like the Royal Hudson which took forever to sell out. Nevertheless, he still can have slow moving inventory like the J - a loco I love and own. Currently he still has at least 14 on hand both electric and steam.

Ross Schlabach
RP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
That “minor issue” alone would kill locomotives like the Dreyfus. Accucraft seems to be able to produce smaller profitable runs than Aster ever did, but Bing too is cautious in his selection of prototypes.
I don't buy that the rest of the world doesn't like US prototypes. The streamlined Dreyfus Hudson even turned up as a visiting Thomas engine!
No doubt Bing is cautious these days, but he's running out of exciting prototypes.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I just finished compiling a book on that subject
A great book Fred.

Last Christmas I received the other book: "Streamliners - Locomotives and Trains in the Age of Speed and Style." by Brian Solomon. It covers the prototypes and a lot of the background.0(It eEven has construction drawings of the McKeen railcar.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in