Originally Posted by fsts2k
Interesting, it is a good question. I have no idea. I also wonder what the value of the lock nut is for since it is not like that clevis can turn based on the attachment to the forward/reverse lever.
Ah, but it can turn. The reversing valve rod can turn as it moves in and out, and (in theory) unwind the clevis from the rod. I jammed mine firmly against the end, but that means I lost any adjustment. If I need to, I will adjust and then lock it with a thinner nut or locktite.
Have you played with the oil valve yet? I filled the tube up with steam oil and have cracked the valve but I am not sure if I am getting enough steam oil into the cylinders yet.
I cracked the valve on my first test but found no water in the lubricator after the run - which was only 30 seconds anyway!
Today, with the R/C hooked up, I steamed up again to see if the reversing worked (it did - see video.) This time I opened the valve about 1 full turn. I haven't checked whether it used any oil - it is still cooling down.
Edit: (2 hours later) no, it did not use oil. The gas and water are still in the loco, so I will light up with the top off the lubricator to see if there's a blockage. I'll bet it just needs to be open 1 1/2 turns initially.
I also did some re-fitting before this test. It was almost impossible to get behind the servo mount, so I drilled out the threads in the frame and used a regular M2 screw with a bolt underneath. Much easier!
The other refit was to put back the original servo. I had used an SG90 I had lying around (because I had oversized the only remaining arm for the supplied Hitec,) but I decided the Hitec would be good if I used another M2 nut with locktite on the arm. [I found my stash of metric nuts and bolts is what brought all this about.] The original rig had the throttle reversed, but I figured if I moved the arm 180 degrees it would no longer be reversed. And that gave me a chance to fix the bolt behind the mount.
The other reason for changing the bolt was that the servo cable is supposed to run underneath, but there are no clips to stop it dangling, so I made a couple with brass wire. One is under the new nut on the throttle servo mount.