Aristocraft Mikado questions - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aristocraft Mikado questions

New member here with a few questions.

My dad bought an Aristocraft live steam Mikado new in 2007 or 2008 and ran it off and on for about eight years. I inherited it after he passed away suddenly in the fall of 2016. Before yesterday, I last ran it in the fall of 2016 after my dad's passing.

When I ran it yesterday, it performed well other than steam/water coming out of the water inlet valve and not the smokestack while running. After it cooled down, I noticed that the o-ring on the water inlet valve had fallen apart. I still have the original spare o-rings/gaskets that came with it. There were two each of small black rubber o-rings, medium-sized black rubber o-rings and white harder plastic o-rings.

When I tried to run it today, it fired up and as it warmed up, steam and water came up through the water inlet valve again and it never ran today. I had tried using one of the black rubber o-rings that fit around the water inlet valve but I'm not sure if that's right.

My questions are, which gaskets are needed around that water inlet valve and is a lack of a gasket causing the water and steam to come up through the valve? If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it. Thanks much.
gt442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not real familiar with the Aristo Mikado, yet it sounds like your describing a failure of the inlet feedwater check valve. That said can you remove the valve, and inspect it? The check valve should allow ONE way flow into the boiler and prevent water/steam from escaping the boiler.

Michael
Michael Glavin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi New Member. Got a real name?

I assume you have a Manual for the loco. I found one here:
http://gscale.net/images/manuals/Ari...ive_Manual.pdf

Quote:
My questions are, which gaskets are needed around that water inlet valve and is a lack of a gasket causing the water and steam to come up through the valve?
The gasket you need is the one that makes it water-tight.

I did a Google search for "aristocraft mikado live steam inlet valve" and got lots of hits, including 3 or 4 old threads on this site. In particular, Jerry Barnes (who is on this site) has one, I think. That should give you some reading material for a few days.

To go back to the actual problem, I can merely speculate that your O-rings are too old? Or maybe the seat in the inlet is not smooth so the O-ring isn't getting a good seal. Without photos or experience that's the beat I can do for now. I'll tag Jerry Barnes and ask him to respond.

Take a look here:
https://forums.mylargescale.com/18-l...am-mikado.html
It mentions that Charles Bednarick has one - he's at Tripe R, realsteamservices.com who fix these things. He's very friendly, so drop him an email.

Last edited by Pete Thornton; 04-19-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Pete Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Are you talking about the Goodall valve to the boiler, or the large fill on top? I never use the darned thing, would tend to leak, but has not for a long time. Take it off and just fill up on top. Charles has done some work for me on the Mike(I'm for sure not an expert!)
Good source to read up on it is on the old Aristo Live Steam forum, first 20-30 pages has a lot of good info on problems folks had when it first came out. I have a section there on firing procedures, not that it is the only way!
Jerry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2020, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi Pete. My name is G.T. Keplinger.

I do have the manual and really everything that came with the Mikado when it was bought new. I was with my dad when he bought it. I see you live in Annapolis. I'm in Towson. My dad bought the Mikado as well as a set of Aristocraft B&O heavyweight passenger cars and some freight cars at Star Hobby.

I also did quite a bit of Google searching before posting about the issue I'm having and wasn't really able to find any definitive answers. Thanks for the links and info. I will follow up with the links and people you mention. (It made me remove the links before I could post-- I got this error message "To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 1 posts.")

I took some pictures of the specific "water inlet valve" (maybe that's not the correct term for it?) and a video of the train running where you can see the steam coming out of the water inlet. I will attempt to share them in response to another response below.

[quote=Pete Thornton;1154262]Hi New Member. Got a real name?

I assume you have a Manual for the loco. I found one here:

The gasket you need is the one that makes it water-tight.

I did a Google search for "aristocraft mikado live steam inlet valve" and got lots of hits, including 3 or 4 old threads on this site. In particular, Jerry Barnes (who is on this site) has one, I think. That should give you some reading material for a few days.

To go back to the actual problem, I can merely speculate that your O-rings are too old? Or maybe the seat in the inlet is not smooth so the O-ring isn't getting a good seal. Without photos or experience that's the beat I can do for now. I'll tag Jerry Barnes and ask him to respond.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the response.

Not that Goodall valve. I've never used that either. That seems to be a little much. It's the large fill on top.

I took some pictures of the valve in question and the o-rings that came with it when it was new and had hoped to share them here but it won't let me.

("To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 2 posts.") Do you know how many posts I need to make before I can share links to images?

I also took a video of it running with steam coming up through the valve.

I posted them on my Flickr site.

I will check out that Aristo Live Steam Forum. Do you have a link by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Barnes View Post
Are you talking about the Goodall valve to the boiler, or the large fill on top? I never use the darned thing, would tend to leak, but has not for a long time. Take it off and just fill up on top. Charles has done some work for me on the Mike(I'm for sure not an expert!)
Good source to read up on it is on the old Aristo Live Steam forum, first 20-30 pages has a lot of good info on problems folks had when it first came out. I have a section there on firing procedures, not that it is the only way!
Old 04-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think that's it exactly. I tried replacing the o-ring but I must not have done it properly. It's a spring-loaded valve mechanism with a small o-ring and a nut on the threaded shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Glavin View Post
I'm not real familiar with the Aristo Mikado, yet it sounds like your describing a failure of the inlet feedwater check valve. That said can you remove the valve, and inspect it? The check valve should allow ONE way flow into the boiler and prevent water/steam from escaping the boiler.

Michael
Old 04-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi G.T.,
I know nothing about this locomotive, but with a threaded rod, it sounds more like it's a safety valve.
If it is, I would recommend NOT playing with that unless you know what you are doing.
Can you give us a link to your Flickr photo.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2020, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Aristo set up the Goodall valve on the Mikado to do double-duty as a secondary safety valve. It seems ironic to me that they would go through all the trouble to redirect the escaping steam from the primary safety downwards because they're afraid steam escaping upwards in the usual way might cause injury, and then design a Goodall valve that could spontaneously blast your fingers with steam just as you're getting ready to push the pump bottle hose into it. I tightened the nut on mine as far as it would go, so it won't release steam unless the pressure gets ridiculously high.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I do believe it's a pressure relief safety valve and I'm not sure how to assemble it properly. The original o-ring was dry rotted and it fell apart in pieces when I removed the valve to add water. I took it apart and put in a new o-ring, that was pliable, but it's still allowing steam to escape even at low-pressure readings on the pressure gauge.

My photos and video can be found at:

www_dot_flickr_dot_com/photos/[email protected]/shares/b42397

(Complete with my dog barking at the Mikado and my wife and kids heard in the background...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Leech View Post
Hi G.T.,
I know nothing about this locomotive, but with a threaded rod, it sounds more like it's a safety valve.
If it is, I would recommend NOT playing with that unless you know what you are doing.
Can you give us a link to your Flickr photo.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in