Where to get parts?? - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2020, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rbednarik

Parts from Aster Japan are no longer available for the 8550 mogul and any other pre-1980 Aster loco as of 2016. 1981-present model spares (what parts are still available on the older models) are still available from Japan.

For the Early locos; Schools, JNR 8550/C12/C62, SNCF 232TC/141R, etc...we here at Triple R Services have both a stockpile of consumables (acquired New Old Stock mostly) and are continually developing remanufactured parts to continue to support these models.

There is also cross reference to newer models that can be used for some items (gaskets and seals mostly). As David Leech says, I know far too much about the Aster Parts system for my own good..but am happy to pass on the trivial knowledge where it is useful.

If you need any other assistance feel free to contact me tr3services [atsign] gmail.com
SA #1361
rbednarik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 03:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pantages View Post
Hi joe I'm in Vancouver and supply parts for Aster to may of the fellows on Vancouver Island. In Courtenay you could contact Eric Cartwright at (250) 871-1881, he's in Comox, great guy. There is a good Club on the Island. pantages at telus.net
Hi Dan, Thank you for the contact info. I will give Eric a call soon and have a chat. Is he in the Vancouver Island garden railway club? I have met a few guys from that club and plan to join once the self quarantine thing has lightened up. I will also email you for more details on your Aster parts business. I like it when parts are available in Canada.
Joe Bin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbednarik View Post
Parts from Aster Japan are no longer available for the 8550 mogul and any other pre-1980 Aster loco as of 2016. 1981-present model spares (what parts are still available on the older models) are still available from Japan.

For the Early locos; Schools, JNR 8550/C12/C62, SNCF 232TC/141R, etc...we here at Triple R Services have both a stockpile of consumables (acquired New Old Stock mostly) and are continually developing remanufactured parts to continue to support these models.

There is also cross reference to newer models that can be used for some items (gaskets and seals mostly). As David Leech says, I know far too much about the Aster Parts system for my own good..but am happy to pass on the trivial knowledge where it is useful.

If you need any other assistance feel free to contact me tr3services [atsign] gmail.com
Hi Ryan, Thank you for your response to my post. That is great that you are manufacturing replacement parts for these obsolete asters.

One thing need to know that is not in the Manuel is the thread size on the coupling pin on the front of the tender. I think I can make a new pin once I know what die to use for the threads. I plan to try and run it on compressed air (as I've seen on youtube) to evaluate what needs repaired or replaced. After that, I may be contacting you for parts.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
One thing need to know that is not in the Manuel is the thread size on the coupling pin on the front of the tender.
I know Ryan has that info at his fingertips, and I have a Reno with the same pin so I will go and check in a minute - but it really is just a pin. In fact, I am continually annoyed by the screwed-in pin that stops the tender uncoupling quickly. When I was playing with my 8550 I used a short nail with a round head and just dropped it in the hole.

Edit: 10 minutes later. My Reno pin fitted with an M3 nut.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200429_113939_resized (002).jpg (198.7 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Pete Thornton; 04-29-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Pete Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rbednarik

Yes, the 8550 uses the same pin, so it is M3 threading there too. A drop-in pin is nice, but the threaded pin at least gives piece of mind that the vibrations from running won't have the pin popping out all over the place.

I have a schools that has had the pin converted to spring loading where you pull up on it to uncouple. Will snap a few photos and upload if anyone desires to duplicate.
SA #1361
rbednarik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

The Aster Lion uses a straight stepped pin to couple the tender. I was tired of it dropping out when inverted so I just slid a short piece of silicon tubing over the bottom end of the pin after it was in place.
bonzo1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2020, 03:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks guys, for the thread size and ideas. I think I will make a few different designs and see which one I like best. As soon as I can figure out where I put my tap and die set that is.lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in