Where to get parts?? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread 04-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Where to get parts??

Hello, I am new to the forum, and new to live steam.
I have acquired a used Aster JNR 8550 Mogul with quite a few missing screws, and a used Accucraft Ruby kit that is missing the valve gear assembly.

Dose anyone have some suggestions where to get screws for the aster mogul and what might be a good alternative for cylinders and/or valve gear for the ruby??

Last edited by Joe Bin; 04-23-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Joe Bin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2020, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Joe,
Welcome to this forum.
What part of the world are you living?
I am not sure which Mogul you are referring to, as Aster made two that were designated JNR. (I assume that is what JNL should read.)
Anyway, do you have the parts book with it?
Whilst you will find that there are 'regularly used screws', there are also quite a few of special length, or with shoulders etc., so it's best if you can refer to where they are used specifically.
I am sure that Ryan Bednarik will respond at some time as knows all there is to know about parts.
I hope that you will enjoy fixing the locos.
Regards,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2020, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Leech View Post
Hi Joe,
Welcome to this forum.
What part of the world are you living?
I am not sure which Mogul you are referring to, as Aster made two that were designated JNR. (I assume that is what JNL should read.)
Anyway, do you have the parts book with it?
Whilst you will find that there are 'regularly used screws', there are also quite a few of special length, or with shoulders etc., so it's best if you can refer to where they are used specifically.
I am sure that Ryan Bednarik will respond at some time as knows all there is to know about parts.
I hope that you will enjoy fixing the locos.
Regards,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
Hi David, thank you for your response. I am in Courtenay BC on Vancouver Island, and yes That was supposed to say JNR. (I will edit that)
It is the first one they made that runs on one cylinder. Unfortunately I do not have a parts book or operators manual for the mogul. Most of the missing screws are common mounting screws of a couple differend sizes for the likes of the cab roof and the fuel tank, and the odd one appears to be missing on the boiler cover. there is one specialty screw missing that connects the tender. For the most part, I do not know a source for such tiny screws, nor do I know the thread types & sizes.

Last edited by Joe Bin; 04-23-2020 at 01:26 AM.

Unread 04-23-2020, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Senior Member

As far as the screws go, they are probably metric. MicroMark makes a metal card that I have found very helpful for this, you can find it at: https://www.micromark.com/Screw-Checkr-Metric-Checker

For the Ruby, what are you missing? Accucraft makes things for it and you might try their estore: https://www.accucraftestore.com/live-steam-model-parts

Hope it helps.
SA #269
Ironton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Accucraft lists a lot of Aster screws on its website, sold on-line. Accucraft and Aster are now connected as businesses. See:
https://www.accucraftestore.com/parts-aster?page=2
Jeff Williams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bin View Post
Hello, I am new to the forum, and new to live steam.
I have acquired a used Aster JNR 8550 Mogul with quite a few missing screws, and a used Accucraft Ruby kit that is missing the valve gear assembly.

Dose anyone have some suggestions where to get screws for the aster mogul and what might be a good alternative for cylinders and/or valve gear for the ruby??
Joe,
The Aster JNR 8550 uses a lot of M2 bolts - dozens of them. But there were special sizes too, so you would be well advised to start a new thread in the Live Steam Classifieds with a WANTED notice for the JNR 8550 instructions. That includes the list of parts and screws, so you can identify what you are missing.
They made about 3,000 kits so there should be someone who has one. I sold mine and it had the instructions, so I could email to ask if he still has it?

The Ruby is easier, as there was a complete upgrade kit sold with new 1/2" cylinders. I notice the Accucraft estore has the valve block (reversing valve and 2 cylinder valves) in stock for $42
https://www.accucraftestore.com/prod...by-valve-block
Unread 04-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys, for the links and advice. I have now ordered the Ruby valve block from the Accucraft store and will start compiling a list of more parts for my next order.

Pete, that is a great idea to post a want add for the Aster 8550 instruction book. I will do that now, thanks. Oh and yes please emailing the guy who bought yours. Even a scanned PDF copy should be suffice.

Edit: I checked my messages and It looks like I may already have a scanned copy of the book coming soon.

Last edited by Joe Bin; 04-23-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Unread 04-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Joe I have the entire assembly manual for the Aster 8550 in a digital format, If you tell me what you need I can email it. I no longer remember how to post images here.
JEFF RUNGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF RUNGE View Post
Joe I have the entire assembly manual for the Aster 8550 in a digital format, If you tell me what you need I can email it. I no longer remember how to post images here.
Thanks Jeff for the kind offer, but I now have the Manuel. Dave emailed me a copy yesterday. Now I am going through it and making a list of parts I need.

Thanks everyone for the links and kind offers, Now I have the Manuel for the Aster 8550 and parts on the way for the Accucraft Ruby. I will for sure be posting later on for more advice, as I Want to do some cosmetic modifications on these locomotives once I have them functioning well.
Unread 04-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi joe I'm in Vancouver and supply parts for Aster to may of the fellows on Vancouver Island. In Courtenay you could contact Eric Cartwright at (250) 871-1881, he's in Comox, great guy. There is a good Club on the Island. pantages at telus.net
Aster Live Steam Parts Sales
Sunset Valley Track & Accessories
Llagas Creek Railways
President: Steam in the Garden LLC
Dan Pantages is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in