New Stack for Ruby#1 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2020, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Stack for Ruby#1

Where can I get a larger inside diameter stack that will fit my Ruby #1. I am convinced that my fire is being put out due to insufficient flow through the stack.
SparkyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Perhaps a smaller fire could verify that.

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyJoe View Post
Where can I get a larger inside diameter stack that will fit my Ruby #1. I am convinced that my fire is being put out due to insufficient flow through the stack.
Accucraft has some different stacks listed on their parts page. They're listed in the "Electric Model Parts" section, but they are the same parts as used on the live steam versions. Here's a Mimi (2-4-2 Ruby variant) running with a D&RG 42/C-16 stack...

I should point out that this one was done just for looks, I don't believe the new stack has noticeably changed the performance. I'm guessing your issue has more to do with the firing end of things, rather than the stack. I'd try things like cleaning or replacing the gas jet, making a collar for the air inlets that will allow you to adjust the airflow, and/or wrapping the burner with nichrome or stainless steel mesh first. You will need to enlarge the hole in the top of the smokebox to install a larger-diameter stack, which will be difficult to undo if you decide you don't like it.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyJoe View Post
You can prove that theory by trying it with the smokebox door cracked open. My FWRR/Ruby won't keep its fire lit without a slight opening.
The problem is that my FWRR doesn't have a very big hole in the bottom of the smokebox. I've not heard a definitive reason why, but without a BIG airhole in the smokebox saddle, you don't get enough air. There used to be a bunch of threads with photos around - tough to find them on this website now the photos are screwed up.

I also concur with Richard's comment that the stacks are all the same size, so you will need a Mogul or similar stack. I don't believe it will be difficult to undo afterwards - there is quite a large flange on the bottom of the chimney.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Accucraft has some different stacks listed on their parts page. They're listed in the "Electric Model Parts" section, but they are the same parts as used on the live steam versions.
That's just weird. I don't recall Accucraft ever making an electric version of the Ruby!
Old 05-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hopefully this PDF will attach, but it has 24 pages from MLS about the Ruby burner.
Dan
Guess not,

Send your email address to me, I'll send the file to you.

[email protected]
Attached Files
File Type: txt New poker burner for the Ruby.txt (1.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

After many hours of reading on this site (btw, most old threads have important links and/or pictures that no longer work) this newbie to live steam finally figured it out!
I was sucking in too much air at the nozzle because in my newbie brain I thought I needed more air, so I completely removed the brass ring around the nozzle holder. This had the effect of raising the BTU's produced by the burner to the point that the stack could not exhaust it fast enough and the CO2 would build up and snuff out the fire. This is why it stayed lit with the smoke box door open as several of you smarter than me mentioned. Today the light in my brain stopped blinking and came on full bright. I said to myself "Self, put that air regulator ring back on". Three steam ups on rollers and it ran great and stayed lit with the smoke box door closed.
Tomorrow I will run it on the railroad, but I think with the help of all of you it will be OK. Thank you all!
SparkyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2020, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dan View Post
Hopefully this PDF will attach, but it has 24 pages from MLS about the Ruby burner.
Dan
Guess not,

Send your email address to me, I'll send the file to you.

[email protected]
Thanks Captain, file came through.

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nope,
The 24 pages of PDF would not load, too big.
The file I sent was a random burner .txt file.
Dan
Old 05-10-2020, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well thanks for the poker/burner file.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in