Race tot he North - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Race tot he North

Trying to amuse myself in lockdown, I decided to run two classic trains from the 1930s side by side in my very own 'race to the north'. During the 1930s, LNER and LMS competed to have the best service from London to Scotland. The LNER track followed the east coast to Edinburgh and was largely flat. The LMS track was west coast and had to cross two infamous passes - the Shap and Beattock Summit.

By the late 1930s, both LMS and LNER were building streamlined locomotives with custom coaches. For LMS, the Princess Coronation Class (Stanier) were the pride of the fleet. For LNER it was the streamlined Class A4. Examples of both stand side by side at the National Railway Museum in York.

For my own race to the north, I had the Aster A4 Mallard pitted against the Bowande Duchess of Hamilton. Mallard was pulling a 9 car set of LNER Coronation style coaches built by David Leech. The Duchess was pulling 11 LMS Coronation Scot coaches built for me recently by Pete Comley and modelled on the set sent to the USA for exhibition in 1938..

Sadly, I didn't manage to get any video as managing two live steam locomotives was challenging enough by itself. But here is a photo of the two side by side cooling down after running for about 25 minutes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yqn...ew?usp=sharing

So, who won? Mallard was consistently faster - probably because of the slightly lighter load and the notorious Aster throttle which goes from off to fully on in 1/8 of a turn. My track is about 1 scale mile and Mallard was lapping in just over 30 seconds putting her quite close to the real world record of a scale 126MPH. The Duchess needed more attention - possibly because I not very familiar with butane firing - typical lap time was 40 seconds - still a scale 90 MPH

Hardly a scientific comparison but it created much needed light relief. Now back to Zoom.....
zephyra is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

No, I think it all down to aerodynamics!
The Gresley F1 style front is obviously far better than the Stanier slightly bulbous front end!!!!
What a great way to enjoy steaming up.
Stay safe,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Great idea. Last year I had a similar idea representing the 1890 races to the north with a LNWR Precedent class and a GNR Stirling Single. I managed to make a video and also to have a dry boiler on the single:
Regards
Fred

Old 05-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I had a similar idea representing the 1890 races to the north
Great stuff. I was about to complain that the Railway Race to the North started in the 1890s. I have the book somewhere, and it is fascinating reading. Fred's trains are just about the right length - they cut the trains down to assist the speeding.

Nothing wrong with the 1930s version either. I would point out the competition still exists on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) and the WCML (West . . .) Virgin Trains runs Pendolino (italian high speed) trains on the WCML London-Glasgow, and the Flying Scotsman (train) still leaves at 10am every day on the ECML from London to Edinburgh.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Zephrya and Fred;

Thanks to both of you for your posts. The trains are beautiful. I'm glad you had such fun racing them.

Best wishes, David Meashey
Dave Meashey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2020, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wonderful picture, you have 2 beautiful locomotives and trains there.
graham25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2020, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

I did also a Race to the North in the garden in 0 gauge with the LNER Silver Jubilee and the LMS Coronation, but since I have only one 0 gauge track the trains are trailing each other:

Regards
Fred
Old 05-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlub View Post
Great idea. Last year I had a similar idea representing the 1890 races to the north with a LNWR Precedent class and a GNR Stirling Single. I managed to make a video and also to have a dry boiler on the single:
https://youtu.be/lPY-c9ymebk
Regards
Fred
Fred, is that the Aster Stirling - very impressed by the way you have it running. Mine is very temperamental - either obstinately stationary or running so fast it comes off the track. So if you have any hints or tips, I would love to hear them.

Robert
Old 05-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hello Robert,

It is indeed an ASTER Stirling Single. The only hint I can give you is to use a relative heavy train with it. I have 4 J&M GNR 3-axle cars which are free rolling but heavy. Further, I build this from a kit completely according to the instructions (which I always do) and it resulted in a good running model!
Regards
Fred
Old 05-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlub View Post
Hello Robert,

It is indeed an ASTER Stirling Single. The only hint I can give you is to use a relative heavy train with it. I have 4 J&M GNR 3-axle cars which are free rolling but heavy. Further, I build this from a kit completely according to the instructions (which I always do) and it resulted in a good running model!
Regards
Fred

Thanks - this is one I purchased ready built - I think it was a factory build. I have a set of three axle teak coaches that look very similar to yours but were built by Pete Comley and are quite light.- maybe I will try adding some weight - then I could also try an 1890 race to the north...

Robert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in