Seeking a 2003 Aster JNR C62-2 Niseko - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Seeking a 2003 Aster JNR C62-2 Niseko

Hi All,
I hope everyone is keeping well in these strange times.
I recently missed out on a 2003 JNR C62-2, and it’s really been grating me as “the one that got away” ever since.
I figured it’d be worth asking here if anyone has one that they’d consider selling / trading, or may know of one that is available ?
If so, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
AuSteam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
RP3

You don’t say where you are located but your “handle” suggests Australia. The C62-2 was one of the most expensive non-articulated models to come out of Aster and very few were sold out of Japan. IIRC from speaking about it with Hans, there were less than 10 models sold in the US.

It is a spectacularly detailed model with fully sprung and fully equalized chassis. Because of the level of detail, it is virtually impossible to turn it over for lubrication and service without causing damage unless you have a custom made cradle. As produced, the gas burner was inadequate to maintain full boiler pressure under most circumstances. I replaced the gas plate burner on mine with a custom made ceramic burner which allows the model to maintain full pressure even with a heavy load.

The recent offering of appropriate passenger cars from Aster finally complete a beautiful and highly detailed train. Good luck on your search for this piece of unobtainium.

Ross Schlabach
RP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2020, 12:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP3 View Post
You don’t say where you are located but your “handle” suggests Australia. The C62-2 was one of the most expensive non-articulated models to come out of Aster and very few were sold out of Japan. IIRC from speaking about it with Hans, there were less than 10 models sold in the US.

It is a spectacularly detailed model with fully sprung and fully equalized chassis. Because of the level of detail, it is virtually impossible to turn it over for lubrication and service without causing damage unless you have a custom made cradle. As produced, the gas burner was inadequate to maintain full boiler pressure under most circumstances. I replaced the gas plate burner on mine with a custom made ceramic burner which allows the model to maintain full pressure even with a heavy load.

The recent offering of appropriate passenger cars from Aster finally complete a beautiful and highly detailed train. Good luck on your search for this piece of unobtainium.

Ross Schlabach
Thanks Ross,
Yes, I'm in Australia.

There's not a day that goes by that I don't rue the missed opportunity of scoring a Niseko Version due to the Incompetence of a 3rd party.

I really like the JNR models.
I have a C57 (1979), C62-2 (1978), C11 (1990) and D51498 (1992), with a set of Naha coaches.
The C62-2 Niseko would be the crowning glory of my JNR Collection.

I'll keep looking with fingers crossed.
AuSteam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

AuSteam, these are spectacular engines. There were always a few running during steamups in Susono, Yokohama and Mitaka (all Tokyo area main meeting places). I believe the absolute majority were also sold to customers in Japan. This is where you may actually have a realistic chance of getting one... Best wishes from Indoors, Zubi
zubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in