Roundhouse Davenport - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2020, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Location: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6nWBgZji_AkBTi_9CtSdnA
Default Roundhouse Davenport

Hello All - by chance does anyone know, or have experience with, the Davenports ability to climb?

I hear Shay is all the rage in this department; however, I prefer a smaller manufacturer with hopes of better customer support. FYI I’m into 3-5% grades.

Best,
Ruger
Ruger B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ruger, you need a geared locomotive for this kind of grades. Being a Roundhouse two-axle locomotive, Davenport is certainly very strong, but no rod locomotive is intended for this kind of grade. Best wishes from Indoors, Zubi
zubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
have experience with, the Davenports
I'm not sure they have started shipping yet.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the input folks. Geared huh? Hmm - interesting....any recommendations for a geared narrow gauge, but not an Accucraft? I’m going to search the net for one.

I find getting info on this esoteric hobby is challenging! Having a full wallet can’t substitute for knowledge😋

Any additional input is more than appreciated!

Ruger
Old 06-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I received word from Roundhouse that they recommend a limit of 2.8 (if I did my math correctly).

Not a deal breaker, I have not even thought of a track layout. I only have a 15 x 30 (ft) area - small enough for a 'mining' motif, if you will.

Found this other rig called a Mamod Brunel - that looks incredibly interesting....not sure if it will draw me away from a later train with a US look (sorry my British friends )...but could make a nice addition either way.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have one of the original Accucraft two cylinder Open Cab Shays and it runs just perfectly. Might want to reconsider. Customer support from Accucraft has been excellent also.

Steve
Steve Ciambrone is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ruger, Accucraft Climax, Heisler and Shays are all geared and not bad running at all. Aster rereleased the Alishan Shay a few years back and it is a brilliant model but it may be hard to find. There were of course earlier models but they were either large such as Aster Maryland Shay, or there were just a few produced such as in the case of the Catatonk Shays and Heisler. When Cliff was still at Accucraft there was a plan to make a couple of WSL Shays, but goodness only knows if this will ever materialise. Best wishes from Indoors, Zubi
zubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ruger;

Not sure how you may feel about Regner. I too love Roundhouse products; however, the Regner Chaloner is a geared locomotive, despite resembling a DeWinton type locomotive. I am not sure about 5%, but know that my Chaloner has pulled at least three double bogie cars up a grade exceeding 4%.

Something to investigate.

Best wishes, David Meashey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RegnerVMT.JPG (365.4 KB, 76 views)
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2020, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks again folks - I will tell you that I have a 'thing' for that Heisler! I can't seem to find one - but I'll keep looking...I want it loaded - RC - Cow thing - diamond top - whatever as long as flat black...

..but, then I find a Roy Wood De Winston...then the Regner Chaloner! Both, very intriguing.

However, it's the Heisler that I cannot get out of my head. Anyone know if it can handle LGB R1's? I'll mix and match. Moreover, we have a little R2 and circle of R5 coming. M

I'd go past my pool but I'm having the waterfalls demolished and a grotto installed hopefully this winter (Northern Hemisphere). Perhaps next year I could expand but for now it's 15 x 30.

Hey - if I had the space? I'd have a riding train! Ha ha. I'm serious

Introspection- I better get the old Ruby running or at least diagnose it before I embark further into this lifestyle.

Thanks and keep 'em coming! (just no electric recommendations). LOL.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger B View Post
,,, by chance does anyone know, or have experience with, the Davenports ability to climb?
Climbing a hill is not usually the problem to be solved. Coming down a hill is the real challenge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in