myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

myLargescale.com > Community > Forums (https://forums.mylargescale.com/)
-   Live Steam (https://forums.mylargescale.com/18-live-steam/)
-   -   Overhaul of an old locomotive (https://forums.mylargescale.com/18-live-steam/90578-overhaul-old-locomotive.html)

steamermeister 06-18-2020 10:57 PM

Overhaul of an old locomotive

1 Attachment(s)
I built this little guy when I was 14 or 15 years old (I'm 33 now). I've touched up the paint now and again but it's gotten pretty bad. No time like the present. Time for a tear down!

steamermeister 06-18-2020 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Part way through the disassembly. If you can believe it, I developed this independent of the BAGRS project locomotive. That is to say I had no knowledge that there was another 0-4-0 project locomotive using the Midwest steam engine/boiler kit and a chain drive.

steamermeister 06-18-2020 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The engineer was made of white clay and fired in the kilns of my high school. To remove him from the deck plate I heated the plate from the underside. I think he was held on with 5 min epoxy but it's impossible to know considering how old it is.

steamermeister 06-18-2020 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Despite the size of the pile, I promise there's not much to this thing. I took this photo before parting the engineer from the deck plate.

fsts2k 06-19-2020 09:19 AM

Thanks for sharing, will be interested to see the rebuild process

Pauli 06-20-2020 08:17 AM

It warms my heart, seeing your teenage build!:)

I was so happy when last year, I found a brass flatcar that I built when I was 13-14 years old. I'm 57 now. At the time, no large scale trains were sold in Sweden, except for the Aster Schools class and Reno. Just finding a wheelset was a true mission! I finally found two LGB axles, and the wheel flanges had to be turned down, to run on the little Märklin track I had. Starting in large scale trains, was very much an upp-hill experience at the time! Learned a lot about casting, lathes and all sorts of other things, since there was nothing to buy.

The wagon had been missing for 35 years, and I had given up hope ever finding it again. But now it's running. However, I'm uncertain if I should replace the couplings, and fixing another detail that has always annoyed me. And I never painted the brass. I think I should do that now.

Will you be doing any modifications, or just clean and repaint?

steamermeister 06-20-2020 08:25 PM

Only a few very small changes but I'll explain as I get to it. I want it to be essentially the same as I left it.

steamermeister 06-20-2020 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All the parts I want to repaint in an acetone bath. I got this pot specifically for this job.

steamermeister 06-20-2020 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The parts after a couple of hours in the bath and some time with the wire brush. There aren't a lot of critical surfaces so I don't need to be too careful. They're mostly clean but I'll let them soak a bit more. Acetone is toxic and can be absorbed through skin contact. Wear gloves and have more nearby as they won't last long.

Pauli 06-21-2020 12:55 PM

Acetone isn't quite so bad on the skin. It used to be I had problems buying acetone without oil having been added, since it was sold as nailpolish-remover. Since pure acetone will dry out yor skin, oil was added. This of course made the stuff unusable for my purposes. So I couldn't source my mothers supply. I had to buy my own bottles. 😄 Then again, avoiding contact and breathing the stuff, is of course preferrable.