Let's brag - locomotives I have run, full size. - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Let's brag - locomotives I have run, full size.

Actually, the only full size locomotive I have run, is a Swedish class "B", standard gauge. Thing is, when the state railways celebrated 125 years in 1981, I had turned 18, and actually "given up" model railroading. Though, that just means that girls are more consuming than anyting else at that age. ;-D

However, I had spent many years previously designing a 4-6-0 locomotive intended for 45mm gauge in 1:32. I went a bit over the top however, learning steam technology from books written at the early 20th century, aimed at, well, "real life" design. Learning the physics behind the advantages of superheating versus compounding etc. ;-D Even language was gramattically strange - that kind of tells you how "ancient" the books were.

Nice thing though, is that I actually know the proper Swedish terms for stem engine parts! And that is a constant bragging part when Stockholm Livesteamers meet. Terminology in Swedish is more oriented to German, rather than English. But quite a lot is down right Swedish, because locomotive design and production in Sweden, started already in 1853.

Anyway, at the end of the "bonanza" of Swedish locomotives, they had to be driven back to an other part of Stockholm. I rather - in American style - boldly entered the "B" type locomotive, and started discussion on injectors an stuff.

"We have to drive back now" the engineer told me after a while. "But you can drive" he told me! So I asked him about valve gear versus throttle. He laughed, but gave a quick mind.

The "B" type is a medium size engine, by normal standards. There were very large, but very uggly Swedish steam locomotives pulling iron ore. The world's most powerful electric locomotives are used in Sweden, pulling iron ore.

But this is my cheriched moment, for like a 5km strech. :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2020, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

This is me at the throttle of 0-4-0T Vulcan.

SparkyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Pauli;

No photos or videos - it was too long ago now (over 42 years). I was a volunteer locomotive engineer and fireman for the Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern Railroad, a small tourist operation in eastern Pennsylvania. I fired and ran two H. K. Porter industrial saddle tank steam locomotives. Both locomotives were built in the 1920s. Number 2 was an 0-4-0 and weighed 45 tons in working order. Number 65 was an 0-6-0 and weighed 65 tons in working order. As well as running the locomotives, engine crews were responsible for raising steam, lubrication, light maintenance, and settling the locomotive down for the night. A typical "day" on engine duty was 10 to 12 hours, so I did get a LOT of "quality time" with my engines.

Regards, David Meashey

Last edited by Dave Meashey; 06-26-2020 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Additional information
Dave Meashey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice. I have ridden behind the imported Swedish B class that used to run on the Belfast & Moosehead Lake in Maine. Sadly, that locomotive is now a static exhibit somewhere in Tennessee. I have only driven one full-sized steam locomotive, 2-8-0 no. 98 on the Valley Railroad in Essex, Connecticut, when I did their "Your Hand on the Throttle" program for my birthday 10 years ago. In my youth, I used to volunteer with the Minnesota Transportation Museum. Although I was just a car attendant, I did get a few cab rides in our steam locomotive, Northern Pacific 4-6-0 no. 328, and got to throw a few shovels of coal in her fire on one occasion. Sadly, 328 has been out of service for over 20 years now, but eventually she will steam again in miniature when I finish my 1:32 model of her.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

We went to the Georgetown Loop, and I hung back by the cab and asked for a cab ride. They said "Sure, what about her (wife)?

I said, "She's small." and they let us ride up the loop in the cab of the Shay on the sand box. They never even took our tickets.
toddalin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have the really great chance to drive a steam locomotive once a year in Wolsztyn, Poland. Probably many of you have hear about it or were there.
The loco I usually drive is the Ol49, a prairie, but twice I had the possibility to drive the Pt47, that is a great engine, a big mikado of german appearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ol 49.jpg (310.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: gif Pt 47.gif (349.1 KB, 8 views)
alberto77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've already mentioned this in another thread, but I guess it's worth repeating here...

Once upon a time, the Pacific Northwest chapter of the NRHS ran a Pacific Coast Shay on a loop of track in a museum in Tacoma, WA. I was new to the area, showed up one day, was invited into the cab and asked if I wanted to join the operation and learn how to run the loco. I spent several years firing and (eventually) driving the Shay, an indelible and wonderful memory. Lots of tall tales to go with it.

Sadly, the Camp 6 museum folded in 2010 or thereabouts, long after I'd moved out of the area, and the Shay went to a private owner in California, the other logging equipment (including a monstrous tower skidder) went to other museums and exhibits.
SA #115
JoelB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2020, 11:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Location: Jason V. Original member 2008 Deadwood Mountain Line Fort Wayne, IN

About 8 years ago Nickel Plate Road #765

Last edited by ddrum31; 07-02-2020 at 11:52 PM.
ddrum31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Would you care to elaborate, '? That looks really cool! ddrum33'! I cherish my kilometers with the type "B" Swedish locomotive, but for the most part, I just did what the original / actual engineer told me. Though, we did discuss - however briefly - what to do, running the stuff. It was like having a driving instructor, who doesn't touch any controls.

He was very kind, "read me", and understood what my capabilities were. And in spirit, holded my hand. I'm very so grateful!
Old 07-04-2020, 12:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Location: Jason V. Original member 2008 Deadwood Mountain Line Fort Wayne, IN

Ran a test run on NKP 765.. about 100 miles round trip. Aka.. stretching her legs after some new bearing work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in