Any new American locomotives ? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2020, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any new American locomotives ?

Does anyone know of any whispers or news on any American 1/32 scale live steam locos in the pipe line?
There have been 5 British loco's in the last couple of years but only the Mikados for the fans of US engines.
graham25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Accucraft is taking pre-orders for SP P-8 4-6-2.

While Canadian and not sure status but they had talked about a Selkirk 2-10-4
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2020, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Accucraft is taking pre-orders for SP P-8 4-6-2.

While Canadian and not sure status but they had talked about a Selkirk 2-10-4
Hasn't that SP loco been in the pipeline for 4 yrs? I wouldn't hold your breath. And the Selkirk got cancelled, I think.

I had noticed the predominance of not-USA locos. Accucraft seems to be building what the dealers want and are willing to pay for in terms of the deposit.

I keep suggesting they offer a streamlined NYC Dreyfuss Hudson, as that has not been done in 1/32. I keep getting ignored.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

I think the last "new" USA locos were the Bowande PRR G5 and Russian Decapod. I bet we see something out of Bowande or Accucraft once things settle down with the global health crisis. Mike
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thornton View Post
Hasn't that SP loco been in the pipeline for 4 yrs? I wouldn't hold your breath. And the Selkirk got cancelled, I think.
Just did a search in the MLS archive, I see references to the Southern Pacific P-8 going as far back as 2011, when it showed up on Accucraft's "Future Releases" page along with the stillborn PRR M1B and AT&SF 3751, along with the N&W J which actually did see the light of day. I am always surprised to see Accucraft's ad in SITG still includes the P-8, but in recent issues it seems like they have finally given up on estimating a delivery date.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

Maybe they need to figure out that not everybody wants a BIG locomotive, or while they might want one, they lack the place to run one, especially with the current world events. Maybe Accucraft/Bowande should look at other historic locomotives for the USA. NYC 999 speed record holder, a tall drivered 4-4-0. Or the General and the Texas. Both open up the chance to produce and sell correct rolling stock for them. How about a 3 cylindered IHB 0-8-0 heavy switching/drag engine. Or a B&O 2-8-0 or Reading 2-8-0 with the huge firebox. Keep it smaller so 5' radius curves are doable to open up the buyers pool a bit.
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

I spoke with Channing Cheng at Accucraft HQ this past January about the P-8. He said that they were putting the production tooling together and would be assembling the first unit to be built with the production tooling in the "next couple of months", with production unit deliveries "this summer". COVID19 may have delayed that schedule, of course. The most recent issue of SitG shows "Production in Progress" for the P-8 in Accucraft's ad, consistent with what Channing told me.

I have had a P-8 on order since they were first announced, many years ago and am optimistic that I will have my unit in hand in the near future. I have heard that part of the long delay was that the original P-8 production model design was scrapped several years ago and a new production design was started. The change from butane poker burners to ceramic burners makes sense to me , as that means that butane and alcohol versions can use the same boiler.

I have a string of six beautiful Finescale Locomotive Co. brass 60 foot Harriman passenger cars that I purchased with the P-8 in mind as the motive power, so am anxious to finally get my P-8 delivered!
Jeff Williams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2020, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

You can also find talk about the Accucraft C-18 going back years as well.

I totally forgot about Bowande. The decapod looks good.

I have to agree, something that can get around a bit smaller radius might be nice.

Well limiting myself to NG 3ft. Other than the possible C-18 might be along time.
There were noises at one time for a live steam 3 truck WSL shay and maybe SP ng #18 but not
holding my breath.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
You can also find talk about the Accucraft C-18 going back years as well.
And how many of those prototypes actually existed? Five?
Quote:
I totally forgot about Bowande. The decapod looks good.

I have to agree, something that can get around a bit smaller radius might be nice.
The decapod will handle 5' radius, 10' diameter curves. We ran it at my friends SC&M RR.

Bowande also offers the C&O 'yellowbelly' hudson, though it doesn't seem to be in demand.

Quote:
Well limiting myself to NG 3ft. Other than the possible C-18 might be along time.
There were noises at one time for a live steam 3 truck WSL shay and maybe SP ng #18 but not holding my breath.
Aster sold a 3-truck live steam shay. Nice beast.

SP #18 is a 4-6-0, I think. There are very few models with that wheel arrangement, although lots of different prototypes.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Technically drgw bought/inherited 6 locomotives from the old F&CC which became class 72 then reclassed C-18. Since virtually every other drgw ng has been done no much left. Maybe also, two still exist with one running?

Yes sp ng # 18 is 4-6-0 arrangement and is running again. It differs from 8/9 primarily in having walschaerts valve rather then Stephenson, so to me a bit more visibly interesting.

As I see it, while some interesting US ng lines, pretty much it has come down to drgw.
We got a dsp&p mason, but not the 'modernized' version, an electric c&s #60 which did not sell well, took forever to get an EBT loco (#12), spng 8/9.

A lot of the Westside three truck shays still going so makes sense perhaps.

Personnally though only used on two lines for US ng I would say the Uintah articulsteds would attract attention.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in