Ruby Mimi safety valve and pressure gauge - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ruby Mimi safety valve and pressure gauge

I haven't run this engine since 2005 and can't remember too much about it. I have a dog bone layout with 30' straight a ways. One direction has a bit of an incline with a decline on the return. The elevations don't appear to be radical but apparently that is an illusion. The Mimi is radio controlled but challenging (for me) to run needing more pressure uphill and having to work the J bar going down, explaining why it was shelved these past 15 years. I had replaced the stock S/V with an adjustable. The Accucraft model number is hand written on the package as ap-21102. I see a 101 and a 103 "new version" but no 102. Did they make a 102 at one time or was the model number written incorrectly on the package? What would be revised or different? Just curious.

As I recall I stressed (pegged) the original 3/4" P/G due to excessive pressure according to the Accucraft tech. The gentleman was very nice to send me a "broken" gauge to monkey with. I remember opening up the gauge and winding the coil tighter so the needle was back to zero. I decreased the safety valve pop off and and was careful to monitor the boiler pressure thereafter. I doubt the gauge is accurate although it seems to be working. Can a P/G be repaired or was it just dumb luck? The gauges aren't cheap and I'm wondering if permanent damage can be done by excessive pressure?

Thanks...Rich
rfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2020, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know what the range of your gauge is, but I run my Ruby at 40 PSI. The safety shouldn't be above 60, preferably around 40. If you ran the pressure high enough to damage the gauge you safety is set way too high.

The Ruby likes to have some load, makes it easier to control. Running a steamer up and down grades does take the throttle and J-Bar and takes some practice to get the coordination right.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Greetings Placitassteam. I’m not sure of the pressure range on the unlisted 102, my guess Is the high end would be 80 psi. I will dial it back some. The pressure gauge pegs at 80 psi so I must have gone a bit beyond to over stress the gauge. I’m waiting on a valve rod before I can try anything as I managed to strip the threads with the locking nut. It took me hours to adjust the eccentrics to inside admission. I think I have it set for optimal performance for forward running although it won’t go in reverse, which is useless to me anyway.

Thanks so much for the help...Rich

Old 08-04-2020, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfer View Post
Can a P/G be repaired ...?
For the size of gauges we use, and according to the manufacturer, the answer is: No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfer View Post
I'm wondering if permanent damage can be done by excessive pressure?
Yes it can.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Tony, I’ll try to find some information somewhere on how they are calibrated...Rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in