Drag/Inertia Car - Page 3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2020, 01:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

I made 19 of these inertia cars in the late 1990s. Bob Paule help with some of the cutting on the steel. Most everything was cut with a hacksaw and file. Turning the round weights was a challenge on the Taig lathe I had. Some were made with dual flywheels and some with just one flywheel. The project used all the material. They were all sold at Diamondhead about 1998. The first one was made from an old film processing unit that was scrapped. The plans were published in Small Scale Steam Hobbyist in the early 2000s As John said they were based on an inertia car the Bob Paule, Kevin O'Conner and Larry Bangham
ernienoa3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

I personally have no use for inertia cars!
I was once, many many years ago coerced into hooking up with a Larry Bangham car plus a bunch of box cars, and all it did was to put an incredible strain on the loco to get the train moving.
I have found that a decent weight train is all I need for nice slow running with a nice chuff.
I know that the idea is that the inertia car will also help push the loco up steep grades, but since I rarely run on anything with more than 1%, I don't need that push.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #23 (permalink)

I have an inertia car that my friend Dennis made for me. It uses an Eddy Current with magnets between two hard drives. It works well, is adjustable, and is cool to watch.
I use it all of the time when testing engines.

But, the real gem is the governor car he made which has little sprung brake shoes that fly out and are adjustable for the speed. What is nice is that it works behind almost any engine as there is no resistance till it reaches speed. It allows almost the same speed uphill as down hill. Both cars have o-rings on the wheels for traction and some lead for weight.
Dennis also made a generator car for a friend that works well also.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:34 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernienoa3 View Post
I made 19 of these inertia cars in the late 1990s. Bob Paule help with some of the cutting on the steel. Most everything was cut with a hacksaw and file. Turning the round weights was a challenge on the Taig lathe I had. Some were made with dual flywheels and some with just one flywheel. The project used all the material. They were all sold at Diamondhead about 1998. The first one was made from an old film processing unit that was scrapped. The plans were published in Small Scale Steam Hobbyist in the early 2000s As John said they were based on an inertia car the Bob Paule, Kevin O'Conner and Larry Bangham
Thanks for the info Ernie. The car still works. When i got it one flywheel was not connected (the pinion was shifted sideways.)
I tried it behind my small 0-6-0 with a light train and it worked as intended. The engine had no trouble accelerating it, and the train didn't stop very quickly. I'll probably make a new cover (1:22 salt wagon to match my UK Thomas wagons?) Otherwise I agree with David that a nice heavy train is probably all you need.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #25 (permalink)

Default Nutty inertia

Perhaps just adding weight to one or more wagons is good enough for a consist. Preferably the first one, I would say. (For shunting, the inertia of course has to be in the loco.)
Old 09-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #26 (permalink)

I received a PM asking for photos of the Eddy Current car built by Dennis Mead so i thought I would share it with everyone.
Here it is. The disks are hard drives. As you can see most of the construction is aluminum.
The most drag is when the magnets are fully covered by the outside of the disks and is reduced as they move to the center or outward uncovering the magnets.

The thumb screw raises and lowers both arms. They are connected by the wire seen just behind the arm.

The underside shows the lead plates and o-rings on the wheels which keeps it from sliding.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #27 (permalink)

Wow! Thanks Bill. I got a pile of old hard drive waiting to be destroyed! Those magnets with the holes though.... I wonder if he found those or bought them.

Dave Orwig
SA #333
S.K.W.R. Lines
E.C.V. (Squibob Chapter) XPBC
My Railroad:SKWRL
seadawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #28 (permalink)

Amazing.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #29 (permalink)

But how well does it read the data on the disk as it goes along?
It must be getting late!!!
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2020, 05:11 AM   #30 (permalink)

Thanks Bill. Amazing to see. Thoughtfully constructed too - even the idler gear shafts for the chain drive are adjustable.

I have a question; I don't see what the large black gear in the centre does?

It's driven from the main platter shaft by the little brass gear on that shaft, but doesn't seem to go anywhere... Is it just to add some friction? That would seem strange but it's the only reason I can see.

Thanks for any light you can shed!
Darrene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in