New to Live steam. - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2020, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to Live steam.

I got a RTR Ruby a few weeks ago. After going though the engine and setting the timing. The Ruby ran ok, I switched to inside admission and it worked a lot better. With a little more air tuning it runs forward and reverse good. So far I've run close to 2 liters of water though it, run time including steam up is 15 to 20 mins. I run 90ml of water in the boiler that leaves 30% steam space. So even with the extra water my Ruby runs out for water before butane. I can tell when its about to run out and close the gas valve, but I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I know a Goodall valve and pump would help, and I plan to get one along with a pressure guage and a 60psi safety valve.
Trev450r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

I too have a Ruby and am fairly new to live steam.

My R-T-R Ruby did not run when received. All adjustable links were not correct and left loose. I was disappointed with Accucraft for shipping me this so called ready to run unit that didn't! I believe I was shipped one from the repair bench that hadn't been completed yet. Never the less I made it work. Changed to inside admission, added R/C (everything but the servos in a tender).

I found that air is not steam. Members on this and other sites told me that if it runs just OK on air, it will run good on steam.

I use 80 ML of water in the boiler and I always run out of butane before water. I get about 15 mins on the tank of butane including steam up and run. I've been fiddling with Ruby since January this year and have finally stop burning my fingers. It certainly has been a learning experience.

Keep an eye on the tightness of your eccentrics to the axle. At my club I had done three point to point runs in a row OK, but on the fourth run I got to the end of track, put it in reverse and opened the throttle, and all that happened was it stood there blowing steam out the stack.
When I got it home and started checking things, I found that one of the eccentrics was pretty loose on the axle (yes I tightened BOTH set screws after they were adjusted last). One cylinder was fighting the other I guess.

SparkyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2020, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Trev,
Welcome to MLS and I hope that you find answers.
I don't have a Ruby so can't really help you, but a couple of thoughts.
Do you fill the boiler with COLD water?
Try filling the boiler full, and then just remove 20 or 30ml and see if that's better.
Are you using just regular butane?
Regards,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 01:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

I use regular butane, I have filled the boiler full and it holds 123ml of water, with 25% head space for steam 92ml and I run 90ml. I timed the gas with the normal set point and it runs for 25+mins. I think the butane tank on my Ruby holds more then average.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sparky-Joe sorry about your luck. I did check all bolts and fittings on my Ruby before I steamed it up, and I'm not going to lie, after the 2nd time I steamed it up I switched it to inside admission, and it run great forward. I used air to help get reverse to work better. It took my about a hour of tuning to get it to run good, I spent more time setting up the servo for the reverser valve lol. I've had it almost a month now and ran about 2 liters of water thought it. The only problem I have is it runs out of water before butane. I'm going to order the pressure guage kit, and adjust the safety valve to pop at 60psi.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

Rubys can be lots of fun, or very frustrating. For your next engine, might I suggest one of the Basic series from Roundhouse Engineering. The Sammie and the Jennie in black with the tender have a USA look to them, can up upgraded with several add on kits including a water sight glass that is part of the water top up kit. They have slide valve cylinders and run flawlessly right out of the box, only getting better once run in for several hours. BTW, having to retighten fasteners is normal upkeep on a live steam. With the heat cycles these go thru, stuff will loosen up. If you want to see an engine that much more complex to go over, look at my Bowande Casey Jones 4-6-0 with full Stephenson valve gear and axle pump between the frames, fully sprung suspension ect. Enjoy the Rubys! Mike
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Butane will not light or burn back in firebox

Also relatively new to steam but have had great success with my Ruby for several years. Out of the box and until now it ran fine. I use it seasonally and it is stored with fluids drained. This summer for the first time I am having a problem with it. At first it would not take the butane at all until I removed the filler valve and cleared it. Now I can fill it but the butane will not light or burn properly. If it lights, it will not snap back to the burner but stay by the opening. A couple of times, it appeared it burned by the air intakes back in the cab. My guess is that the butane jet is clogged, but I need advice as to whether that's likely the cause and how to proceed. Thanking all in advance for any advice you can offer. Also, I am located in northern Michigan if you happen to know of any one locally who has experience with steam and might offer hands-on help.
John38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Toney

The gas jet is clogged John, the way most of us clean them is to remove the jet, then blow gas backwards thru the jet by holding it up to our filler can nozzle and giving it a quick blow. Do NOT try to poke anything thru the jet itself. If your engine came with a spare jet, as many Accucrafts do, just swap it out and try lighting the burner.
SA#16
Mike Toney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2020, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

From what I've seen from a friend's Ruby, it's a quite ok engine! He has told me nothing about changing steam admission. Though, he bought it as a kit, and he is very knowable, so he probably set valve timing absolutely perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in